Ordering a catback in the next week. Can't decide. HELP

SuperDust22

The Power of Pixie Dust?!
Oct 19, 2003
Gilbert,AZ
Okay so I have read a couple threads on here but I still had a few questions. I am going to be ordering a cat back this week or next. I want a deep strong sound that is kinda exotic in its own way. I want it to be loud as **** at WOT but quite at idle. Also I have 4.10 so I dont want it to be too loud when I am going down the street at 70. Which of these would be a good choice for me? Also if you guys have any other ideas let me know.

Magnaflow
Bassani
Spintech
Dynomax Race Magnum bullet

Dustin

• Sponsors (?)

SuperDust22 said:
Okay so I have read a couple threads on here but I still had a few questions. I am going to be ordering a cat back this week or next. I want a deep strong sound that is kinda exotic in its own way. I want it to be loud as **** at WOT but quite at idle. Also I have 4.10 so I dont want it to be too loud when I am going down the street at 70. Which of these would be a good choice for me? Also if you guys have any other ideas let me know.

Magnaflow
Bassani
Spintech
Dynomax Race Magnum bullet

Dustin

If you don't wan't loud, stick to catted X/H pipes. Bassani is very "exotic" in my opinion. I love it. Goto www.mustangexhaust.com to hear some clips...

BennyBlown2v said:
Magnaflow sounds great outside the car, not so much inside imo. Bassani is cool but honestly, way overpriced. Borla is awesome...I have a Stinger catback in the mail ;)
Wait you said that Bassani is overpriced yet you bought a BORLA catback? lol, a bit ironic i think. :nice:
Got my Bassani catback for $450 shipped and its exotic and deep and different from the rest. Loud when it needs to be and quiet inside the car as well. Perfect with an o/r x-pipe, but not loud enough yet for my tastes. Time for some LT's :D

I went with SLP Loudmouth 1's, best decision I've ever made. It's probably the loudest catback you can get, sounds good too. It pops alot which is kinda cool without being to obnoxious. Other nice thing is mine dosen't drone at all. If your planning on getting anything else becareful cuz i just bought SLP LT's and an o/r x and its WAY too loud with just the resonators on. Paid 350 which was a good price.

HoustonGT said:
Wait you said that Bassani is overpriced yet you bought a BORLA catback? lol, a bit ironic i think. :nice:
Got my Bassani catback for $450 shipped and its exotic and deep and different from the rest. Loud when it needs to be and quiet inside the car as well. Perfect with an o/r x-pipe, but not loud enough yet for my tastes. Time for some LT's :D

All the bassani's I saw were 650+ for the stainless stuff, not the BX "junk". Stingers were $523 shipped. Oh yeah, and LT's will QUIET your car!!! They will make it a bit raspier and gruntier too...but shouldn't be any louder than the crap stock manifolds.

If you want that "exotic" sound at high RPMs, your only choice is Bassani. Here's my Cliffnotes of the catbacks that I've own and the ones I've heard in person.

Magnaflow--had it before. sounds like American V8 "rice" to me. never had the magnapack version myself, but it sounds like cheap glasspack. relatively cheap. bought mine new for $340 shipped

Bassani--also had it on my car, exotic sound at high RPM, mean rumble at low RPM. expensive as hell. got mine for $600 shipped

Spintech--never had it, but heard it on other people's mustangs, very unique sound, very loud, sounds completely different than others, hard to describe. relatively cheap

Dynomax Race Magnum bullet--never had it, never heard it in person, but have read that it's loud and sounds like a hardcore racecar. relatively cheap

SLP--never own it, have no experience with it

Flowmaster
--had the 50 series. the 40 series sounds mean, classic mustang sound, but drone like a mofo on the highway--very little drone with the 50 series, but it's kind of quiet. relatively cheap. bought mine new for $320 shipped

Borla--currently have the Stinger version, sounds VERY MEAN, very nice sound, scares the crap out of ricers, but i'm going to switch to the regular Borla version soon because i commute way too much and want it a little softer since i'm also getting LT. expensive as hell. got the stinger catback for $550 shipped. recently bought two borla turbo mufflers (the race version, not the cheap pro-xs version) for $220 shipped

I'm really picky about exhaust sound and I've spent WAY too much money on different setups every since I got my mustang. My best advice for you is to just spend the money and do it right the first time. Go with either Bassani or Borla, you won't regret it.

I mostly depended on online sound clips and other people's opinions when I bought my various setups. the sound clips sound nothing like what it sounds like in person.

Another exhaust advice I have for you is when/if you want to get an aftermarket x-pipe, you should really consider either the Bassani x-pipe or the SLP x-pipe. Those pipe will give you a lot of room to grow because they're 5-piece hybrid version. Meaning you could easily switch out the cats and switch in the a piece of straight pipe in 30 minutes on your drive-way. Furthermore, with either of these two pipes, when/if you decided to get the Bassani Mid-length headers or the SLP longtube headers, they will bolt up flawlessly to either of those midpipes so you won't have to go to a muffler shop for them to chop up/modify the pipe to fit the headers.

And finally, if you need to know what store/website I bought my past catbacks from for the price I listed above, PM me and I'll tell you. I could just post it right here, but the mods will just delete the web address i post.