Orig. tooling hood vs Repo vs. fiberglass hood

70MachI

May 20, 2006
I need a hood since mine is in pretty bad shape. I don't mind a fiberglass hood but there seems to be a shortage of good looking hoods for a 69-70 mustangs. I do not want a cowl hood. So if anyone has a company with some different styles I know of Crites, Maier, and Unlimited products. Unlimited has a "Elewhore hood" but They have no pictures of it?

Also Year one is down the road from me so I can go down the road and pick up a reproduction steel hood. I know of the horrors of repo doors and fenders but does that extend to the hoods too?

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

• Sponsors (?)

I saw a guy's writeup on the Orig. Tool. 69 hoods, and he had pics of it out of the box, in bodywork stage and in paint, and on the finished car. It fit GREAT. Now if the repop stuff on my 66 was that good...

So repop stuff has crappy fitting in every piece of the resto? LOL I guess nothing is cheap in this hobby. Thats why I was wondering about fiberglass. I can work with fiberglass but the price of fiberglass I can get a original tool hood.

I just looked at Year One and they seem not to offer a original tooling hood. BUT I found that Mustang Unlimited does and they are just a little further away from Year One. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

70MachI said:
So repop stuff has crappy fitting in every piece of the resto? LOL I guess nothing is cheap in this hobby. Thats why I was wondering about fiberglass. I can work with fiberglass but the price of fiberglass I can get a original tool hood.

I just looked at Year One and they seem not to offer a original tooling hood. BUT I found that Mustang Unlimited does and they are just a little further away from Year One. Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks

i've bought probably 90% of my parts from MU and i have yet to be unsatisified with their customer support and their products

kind of on topic.

But when a manufacturer mentions that a fiberglass hood or body part must be worked for best install. What do they really mean? trimmed with a sawzall? or some edges sanded flush?

kind of on topic.

But when a manufacturer mentions that a fiberglass hood or body part must be worked for best install. What do they really mean? trimmed with a sawzall? or some edges sanded flush?