OT: Ford UK Products

STM1965

Mar 24, 2003
Ontario
I'm just a week back from being in the UK, and having spent some time behind the wheel of two rental cars (Fiat Punta:gas powered) and Ford Mondeo (Deisel)aka a Contour in NA. I wonder out loud if the big boys ESSO, Exxon, etc would even want the big three automakers to push deisel engines over here. I'm mean the Mondeo ran sweet, nice quiet, smooth. I wouldn't have even known it was a deisel. On the other hand the Punta was joke, it was small and peppy but designed by a wacko, the power window controls are mounted on the dash, the cd player has to be turned off or it'll keep playing and drains the battery. I know of at least one refinery that ships deisel from NA to the UK and in return the UK ships unleaded here. It really makes you wonder just how bad we are being scammed over here.

• Sponsors (?)

I would love to have a diesel powered .... say ... Ranger or Focus. There were some made here in the early 80's. Why don't we get the cool stuff?

My fiance & I almost bought a TDI VW before we decided to get the Focus .... because it was diesel powered.

SeventyMach1 said:
I would love to have a diesel powered .... say ... Ranger or Focus. There were some made here in the early 80's. Why don't we get the cool stuff?

My fiance & I almost bought a TDI VW before we decided to get the Focus .... because it was diesel powered.

Thats my point if they offered us a deisel engine in something other then a pick-up truck on steroids that ran as nice as the Mondeo did I'd buy one. The days of the big smelly black smoke belching deisel's are over. Give us the option and I think NA car buyers would jump at them. Look at the current trend towards gas/electric cars and SUV's and even the VCM (varible cylinder managment) car which when at cruising speed on the highway, drop off cylinders (honda oddessy).

I wonder why they don't come out with a diesel/electric hybrid?? Can you imagine the mpg's on that??
I see that other countries get cools cars from the big three but they don't offer them here. Like the new focus gets debuted in Europe first and not the US. They even have cooler/better versions of the focus offered over there but not here. WTF is up with that?? I'm not sure but I think that over half or just about everybody in Europe use diesel powered cars.