OT: My new year sucks :-(

BlownFiveLiter

have car, will race....wait, it doesn't run
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Chicagoland
:( So far, my new year has sucked. Was driving to my aunt's house yesterday, and a tire blew on my daily driver, but someone stole my spare, so there I am stuck on the side of I80, on new year's day, with nothing open. Not a big deal, had a friend of my brother's pick me up, came home and got my Mustang. Went back to the Bravada, picked up my wheel, headed to Pep Boys for a new tire. Went back to the Bravada, put it on, and had to wait till later till my parents came home to go pick it up from the expressway. When I got a block from home, the MUSTANG CAUGHT ON FIRE! I could smell plastic burning, but didn't know if it was my car. I'm not sure what it was yet, but it looked like it was down by the A/C compressor, and I did have the defog on since the goofy Chicagoland weather was in the 50's, and my window was fogging up. I managed to get home, but when I pulled up, it was smoking like hell, so I popped the hood to find flames! I literally tore my negative cable off the post on my battery, ran up to the front of my house, grabbed the hose, and quickly put it out before it got out of hand. This really sucks, I hate to see what the rest of my new year has in store, and I really hate to see the extent of the damage under my hood... :(

• Sponsors (?)

wytstang said:
:eek: WOW it must suck to be you right now J/K. You're looking at it all wrong what ever is broken gets replaced with some thing twice as strong. Your battery cables are burnt now would be a great time to relocate you battery to the trunk. Think of this a a slight push to get you modding :nice:

:stupid: It's possible your heads and intake got burnt during the fire, I'd replace those just to be safe, maybe with some Edelbrock stuff. :p

Your absolutely right..Its sucks to be you at the moment....Thats a drag... :( Sounds like something shorted out??? Hopefully you caught it early and its not to bad...Good luck with it...

It surprisingly still runs, but I'm definitely not driving it anywhere until I get to survey the damage, probably this Thursday when I'm off again. I had to reconnect the battery cable to start it, so I could move it over where it's supposed to be. All the stuff you guys mentioned sound good though, I have some GT40P's and a Typhoon intake sitting in the garage, but still need the intake elbow, TB, cam, lifters, roller rockers... the list goes on. Guess I gotta sort out the electrical problem, probably replace some wires, see what else cooked, get a new A/C compressor, and who knows what else? Cars p*ss me off sometimes, but it definitely sounds like an excuse to start blowing some hard earned money on a nice 331 stroker kit that I've been eyeing :nice:

Wow, having your car burst into flames isnt a good way to start any day or year off. Sorry to hear it man, but that did start me thinking. I hope this can help.. Wasnt there a recall on the 95 Mustangs about the cooling fan relay.. or some switch that wasnt properly grounded or SOMETHING to that extent? I remember reading that on consumer-reports and it said that it could cause an underhood fire, wich if im not wrong the fan shroud is plastic and that could have been what was on fire? (I dont own a Mustang YET but obsess and dream about them). Sorry for my ignorance if im wrong but if that was the case wouldnt Ford have to replace it and all that was damaged by it? Heres a link... http://www.consumerreports.org/main...3&FOLDER<>folder_id=10895&bmUID=1104726956277

BurningRubber said:
Wow, having your car burst into flames isnt a good way to start any day or year off. Sorry to hear it man, but that did start me thinking. I hope this can help.. Wasnt there a recall on the 95 Mustangs about the cooling fan relay.. or some switch that wasnt properly grounded or SOMETHING to that extent? I remember reading that on consumer-reports and it said that it could cause an underhood fire, wich if im not wrong the fan shroud is plastic and that could have been what was on fire? (I dont own a Mustang YET but obsess and dream about them). Sorry for my ignorance if im wrong but if that was the case wouldnt Ford have to replace it and all that was damaged by it? Heres a link... http://www.consumerreports.org/main...3&FOLDER<>folder_id=10895&bmUID=1104726956277
Yes we do have a recall on the fan relay and it could start a fire. If the damage was cause by the defective part from ford they can be held resposible and "should" repair the damage i'm glad you brought this up BurningRubber :nice: .

Hey no problem, just here to help like yall are. Just cause I dont own a Mustang (yet) doesnt mean I dont know them like the back of my hand, hell I've told several people info about their Stangs they had no clue about, but I tell myself one day I'll get my hands on the right one. For now.. Im stuck with loud, 4x4, and slow..

StangGT1995 said:
MUSTANG CAUGHT ON FIRE! I could smell plastic burning,I managed to get home, but when I pulled up, it was smoking like hell, so I popped the hood to find flames!

And thats exactly why my Stang has a fire extinguisher in it. I bouht it last summer just in case something like this ever happend. Its a small invesment $40 to assure that you dont have to stand there and watch your car burn to the ground. Your lucky you were near a hose b/c if you were on the road somewhere your New Yr would be starting off alot worse.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck so far, best thing to do is to put it behind you, we will all run into bad luck before 2005 is up, just hope your getting yours out of the way now and the rest of the yr goes well.