OT--Yamaha R-6

WMDPALMER

Founding Member
Feb 28, 2001
Eglin AFB, FL
Any one have one? Thinking about diving in and getting one. The kids and I went to the dealer today and they had one in stock, but, it was sold. The guy said the wife came in today and bought it for her husband and wants the dealer to drive it to her house. She left the garage open for him to put the bike in so when hubby wakes up it's new bike time! Pretty cool. Maybe it is my wife and she bought it for me? Yeah right....she would though! Let me know if you have one or if your a rider and know anything about them. Thansks,

Will

• Sponsors (?)

That is one of my all-time favorite bikes! Bikes have been in my family forever. Most of them are into Harley's and such, but the younger generation is all about the crotch rockets. My brother has one and god damn is that thing a blast. Rev's to 15K and has a nice balance.

It also weighs 370 pounds and has 120 horse... it absolutely screams when you want it too, but at the same time I think it wouldn't be a bad bike to start on. My first bike was a 300cc Honda and I got bored of it REAL quick.

I am unfortunately bikeless at the present due to college, but if I were to buy a new one, I would definately look long and hard at an R6.

Just don't get a Ninja!

Not currently a rider , I owned a Gsxr 600 and 750 but i rode a R-6. the gixxers were alot more comfortable for me- im 5'10 with a short inseam but its whatever feels best for you , there all good bikes.

If you're a first time rider, don't get a new R6. Go buy a POS 600 and ride the crap out of it. Lay it down once or twice. Then go get an R6.

If you buy a new R6 only to lay it down a couple weeks later, you will cry. With new riders, it's not if you lay it down, it's when.

fat chance on dealers allowing test drives, yeah its sucks. but if your serious about buying the 4 wheeler for your son im sure they would let him take it for a spin behind the shop

I would go with a GSXR 600 or 750. I have a had both, currently owning a gsxr 750 and i love it. With the 750 you should be a ble to keep up with the bigger bikes on the highways and keep up with the 600s on the turns. I think they are the most comfortable bikes. I ride with a guy who has a R6 and i like it a lot but it's a little narrow and as for the hondas F4, F4i, or 600rr they have go to be the most un comfortable bikes in my opinion inless you get an after market seat.

yeah the gixxer 750 is the best of both worlds , you can flick it around like a 600 and can " sort of " keep up with the liter bikes (1000cc) but its not really a first bike even the r-6 is fast as **** for a first bike. Is this your first bike by the way ?

baglock1 said:
If you're a first time rider, don't get a new R6. Go buy a POS 600 and ride the crap out of it. Lay it down once or twice. Then go get an R6.

If you buy a new R6 only to lay it down a couple weeks later, you will cry. With new riders, it's not if you lay it down, it's when.

WHAT HE SAID! most likely not a good idea to buy a shiny new bike as a first bike.

oh and yea, my f4i seat is crap. i sat on my bud's 02 R6 and couldn't believe how comfortable his seat was.

Thanks for the great info guys. I am short 5'7". Is the R-6 going to be unconfortable? Which bike is better suited for a short guy like myself? I don't think there is a Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer in town. They are about 40 miles away.

WMDPALMER said:
Thanks for the great info guys. I am short 5'7". Is the R-6 going to be unconfortable? Which bike is better suited for a short guy like myself? I don't think there is a Suzuki or Kawasaki dealer in town. They are about 40 miles away.

I'm also 5'7 and I didn't have a problem cruisin on an R6. Most Japanese bikes in general I'm fine on, Japanese guys aren't known for height either.

To echo what the bartender said, you WILL lay it down if its your first bike... I would pick up an older/high mileage bike for 1500 or so just to get comfortable on a sport bike before you buy a new one. I know you don't want to hear that but its true. My first bike went down twice before I got comfortable on it.

- Adam