Ouch !!! Boy Did It Hurt

• Sponsors (?)

1. Was the factory safety latch not there?

2. You can do the football trick. Put a deflated football in the cowl and air it up, it'll pop most of the dents out

Reactions: 1 user
1. Was the factory safety latch not there?

2. You can do the football trick. Put a deflated football in the cowl and air it up, it'll pop most of the dents out
Hey thanks for the football idea, never thought of that.
No regular hood latches on the hood only the two hood pins, no hardware on the fiberglass hood when I bought it. I certainly might rethink that situation.

That scenario is why I kept the secondary latch on my hood and the reason I chose the AeroCatch hood pins over old style ones. It is easy to see the Aerocatch is open even from the drivers seat reducing the chance of having the hood pop up.

2016-02-18%2016.44.53_resize.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
That cowl panel doesn't look like too hard of a fix. It just sucks, man. Gotta redo the stripe. I like the way you continued behind the hood and under the plastic cowl panel.

Now you have a reason to buy a stud puller set. They're worth the weight in gold.

There's some creasing going on and I'm not convinced the football method would get them out. A hammer and dolly would work, too. Reach in there and fix that thing.

I've seen where people slid a small screw jack in there and pushed a block of wood up from the bottom and tapped the dents out with a body hammer.

Either way, the cowl can be fixed...so can the hood.

That is a fair amount of damage IMO. Having to strip down a hood and repair & repaint it along with repairing the cowl and repainting that is a fair amount of work for the non-professional DIY guy. To pay somebody to do that work would be a fair amount in labor and materials.

The football nor the scissor jack will get that crease out near the edge of the cowl where it meets the passenger fender. You can use the methods to pull most of the dent out. After that you can grab a dolly and reach up inside the cowl and lightly bump the inside upward with it to try to get the crease out. There is not enough room to swing a hammer in there. If the crease still remains then it's stud welding time IMO. The center part of the cowl is actually really flimsy and I pulled it out with my hands.

Been there done that. Pics are from my old T-top and mine had roof damage too (very little though).
cowl damage.jpg
cowl repair 1.jpg
cowl repair.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys thanks for your interest and input. I'm hoping I won't have to get into the stripe,since I just painted it recently I hope the paint match won't be a problem. I'll probably have to paint out to the fender top body line. There is a lot of damage underneath in the corners where the hinges bolt up. That's more of a concern for me to save the hood ??
I'm thinking of rigging something overhead that I might be able to slide a board or something into the cowl and pull it up ?? we'll see, right now it's driveable and I've had it out in the unseasonably good weather here in south central Pa. Vrooom Vrooom

Reactions: 2 users
well it was nice the last couple of days so I started work on the hood and cowl, didn't try the football thing. I was able to bend some flat stock to be able to get in under the cowl and lift the metal back up. It came out pretty good with the need of minimal bondo.
Also pieced the hood back together and fiberglass it all back into place and it also only needs some small bondo to level every thing out, I'm heading in the right direction..:banana::banana:

Reactions: 2 users
That is a fair amount of damage IMO. Having to strip down a hood and repair & repaint it along with repairing the cowl and repainting that is a fair amount of work for the non-professional DIY guy. To pay somebody to do that work would be a fair amount in labor and materials.

The football nor the scissor jack will get that crease out near the edge of the cowl where it meets the passenger fender. You can use the methods to pull most of the dent out. After that you can grab a dolly and reach up inside the cowl and lightly bump the inside upward with it to try to get the crease out. There is not enough room to swing a hammer in there. If the crease still remains then it's stud welding time IMO. The center part of the cowl is actually really flimsy and I pulled it out with my hands.

Been there done that. Pics are from my old T-top and mine had roof damage too (very little though).
cowl damage.jpg
cowl repair 1.jpg
cowl repair.jpg
Whoa nice work, I'm in about the same state as your pictures show, didn't use a puller, I took out the hinge and was able to get in the corner through there.