Out Of Nowhere, No Power, Sputters & Backfires. Same Thing At Idle Under No Load?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by CNK, May 25, 2013.

1. CNK

CNK New Member

This MSD distibutor has been with the car for years, it just has corrosion in it now, So im looking for way to clean the corrosion, hopefully without pulling the distributor out
  2. 1200gt

1200gt Member

I agree with the MSD replacement. You should be able to find a good downer at your JY, that-is, if you don't want to spend too much $$$. Probably many members on this site will have stock distributors laying on their extra parts shelves.

TUNE_UPS amazing what a frequent tune-up reveals....

Running low on FUEL can bring on many running issues especially when trash is picked-up from the bottom of the tank, especially in these older Stangs. Another issues is that the fuel pump is kept cool by the actual liquid gas in the tank. When the fuel in the tank is below the pump level, the pump is no longer dissipating heat into the cooler fuel, thus running low on gas regularly can cause premature pump failure.

Tell this to your wife... lol

Poster, please let us know what actually fixes the problem. Thanks
  3. 1200gt

1200gt Member

Try cleaning the MSD piece up first.

Replace the cap, rotor and other stuff that may be in the MSD, I don't run one - they are pretty, but stock cars don't really benefit from one.

Pay attention to Jrichkers advice about the Control Module - Not a very expensive part to replace to have future peace of mind....

but I agree with the MSD replacement. You should be able to find a good downer at your JY, that-is, if you don't want to spend too much $$$. Probably many members on this site will have stock distributors laying on their extra parts shelves.