Outer Door Belt Molding: Replace or paint?

psmithstang

Jun 7, 2011
Hey,

Got a 91 GT I want to fix up my Outer Door Belt Moldings. They are so bad they are no longer black look more like chrome. LOL. Can anyone who has painted or replaced theres let me know your opinion. I ordered some black spray from Late model restoration—how do I take the molding off and paint them? but I noticed you can by several different kinds of replacements any recomendations. any preference either way? Love to hear some opinions. many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1235.jpg
    IMG_1235.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 336
  • Sponsors (?)

I restored mine about a month ago. To remove them there's one screw under the molding and slide them out, you'll be able to see it with the door open. With what I spend on materials and time spent on filling and wet sanding (that plastic coating is stuck on, I just removed what was loose on the molding) I think I was better off buying replacements.

I restored mine about a month ago. To remove them there's one screw under the molding and slide them out, you'll be able to see it with the door open. With what I spend on materials and time spent on filling and wet sanding (that plastic coating is stuck on, I just removed what was loose on the molding) I think I was better off buying replacements.

^^ This.

Latemodel Restoration sells aftermarket replacements and new Ford, but you can actually still get them from your local Ford dealer for less than LRS sells them.

I tried painting a set a long time ago. They looked good for a while, but didn't last well at all.

Open the door, look on the open end, one phillip head screw. Then slide the moulding parallel to the window away from the mirror or front of the car.
It is held on by plastic body pins.

Where about is the screw for removal? Do I have to remove something to see it? Can't seem to locate it.

Look at the second picture you posted above. Underneath the back end of the moulding, on the underside of the door, you will find the phillips head sheet metal screw. Take out the screw and the moulding will slide back about an inch and come off with a little persuasion.