Outlet. What voltage? Pics

aside from all that other stuff, if it is 10wire, its not rated for 40-60 amps.... look at my last post on page one of this thread for accurate NEC voltage for 10 wire! that came out of my uglys book i have sitting right in front of me!

• Sponsors (?)

put in a new recepticle and run a new wire and install a new breaker, then you know its done right, if you cant do it, find someone who can, it will save you a lot of aggrevation from trying to figure wire guage and breaker amperage, and yes any two pole breaker will be in the 220-240 range and any single pole breaker will be in the 110-120 range, ALL depending on the pole transformer size and the load on the grid at the time of useage

I can't just plug it in, and hope it doesn't burn the place down. I know that I'll have to get a new plug because on the welder the cord has the 2 hots, and one ground, but the ground terminal looks like the ground on a extension cord, just bigger. As you can see on the original picture, the third slot isn't round, so I know I'll have to do some things just for that, but what, I'm not sure.

I can't just plug it in, and hope it doesn't burn the place down. I know that I'll have to get a new plug because on the welder the cord has the 2 hots, and one ground, but the ground terminal looks like the ground on a extension cord, just bigger. As you can see on the original picture, the third slot isn't round, so I know I'll have to do some things just for that, but what, I'm not sure.

So the receptacle needs to be changed.

If you don't know what you are doing, you really should call an electrician. Explaining how to do that is pretty complex and a huge liability for the guys that are liscensed. If you burn your home down we could be responsible.

BTW, i am also a liscensed electrician...although i work as an engineer...go figure.

If you don't know what you are doing, you really should call an electrician. Explaining how to do that is pretty complex and a huge liability for the guys that are liscensed. If you burn your home down we could be responsible.

BTW, i am also a liscensed electrician...although i work as an engineer...go figure.

Agreed, if i this thread has gone this far and he hasn't figured it out, he should call someone to come and do it.
If it's just a simple breaker and outlet change, i'd probably charge him like $125.

All the pics of the stuff i have

here are all the pics:

PB290118.jpg

PB290119-1.jpg

PB290120.jpg

PB290121.jpg

PB290122.jpg

PC010123.jpg

So am I in for an electrician?

Attachments

• PB290118.jpg
    PB290118.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PB290119-1.jpg
    PB290119-1.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 24
  • PB290120.jpg
    PB290120.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PB290121.jpg
    PB290121.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 29
  • PB290122.jpg
    PB290122.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 30
  • PC010123.jpg
    PC010123.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 30
I sent the pics you wanted Bynumstang.

Change the outlet socket and it should be a go as long as the wiring is up to par.
Listen to 2000xp8.... Joe knows his stuff.

Damn, it's 50A input. That kinda changes things. :(

What you have now is a 20A 230V single phase receptacle...what you NEED for that welder is a 50A 230V single phase receptacle.

Unfortunately to run that will require a 50A 2-pole breaker, a 50A 250V 2-pole, 3-wire receptacle and #6 wiring. I'm not 100% sure on the wire size though since it's 230V, you may be able to use #10. Table 210.25 in the NEC specs #6 for 50A branch circuits.

Also, i see four 2-pole breakers in your panel. Do you know what the amp ratings are on those breakers?? I bet you your receptacle is currently running off a 20A breaker.

Wait for one of the other guys to confirm what i said first. My electrical expierence is mostly controls such as bridges. Not really a "plug and switch" guy

The wire you have a close up picture for is 12-2. Its only rated for 20 amps. You will need a dedicated circuit for that welder. It needs to be a 2 pole 50 amp breaker with #6 wire. If that picture shows the main panel another thought may be what is the amperage rating for the MAIN breaker in that panel?? The wiring for the outlet you have is not going to work. In your case an electrican is probably in your future. On a side note,that seems to be a nice welder.

Hmm, I think what I will end up doing is selling the welder. I payed not that much, but it will cost much more than the welder to get it pluged up and ready. I might as well just get something that will run off 110.

Crap, well time to go take pictures and clean it up, and set it up on craigslist.

If you can find a 230V 20A input welder you are good to go.

50A is a lot of juice. That might be half your load for your household panel if that's a 100A older service

that wire looks like 12-2... and if you look on page 1 i called that out of the blue! i said 14-2 was white, but the older stuff 12 wire was white... so i think your screw'd...
but i gotta run!, ill help you out just not right now!

50amp welder for the home is a bit on the extreme side. If your panel is in the garage it's still pretty simple to hook up, but may be too much of a power hog.
And from the looks of it, your house has electric appliances which is not good if you are adding more.
4 220v breakers means you are probably already drawing alot of juice.