Outnumbered By Idiots

you have to re-jet it when the weather changes"

Unless your are racing, why would anyone want to re-jet the carb because of changing weather? It will work just fine without screwing with it. When I used to drag race a carburated engine, unless there was a drastic weather change, I found it WAY easier to change my dial in than to change the jets.

• Sponsors (?)

Unless your are racing, why would anyone want to re-jet the carb because of changing weather? It will work just fine without screwing with it. When I used to drag race a carburated engine, unless there was a drastic weather change, I found it WAY easier to change my dial in than to change the jets.

You don't have to. This is what madmike was talking about when he mentioned people without first hand experience making comments on something they know nothing of..

Mmeehh... I just pretend to know what's going on..
Carbs are simple I like the setup we use on our race car, a small bump in fuel pressure usually gets the job done just fine when weather changes. Not to mention when something goes wrong there is a lot less to troubleshoot.

Carb usually get the win on raw power from one simple fact, the atomized fuel chemically cools the air charge.

I prefer efi just because I'm a techie. I'd sacrifice 25 HP over carb if I could get the car to make me a nice coffee when I'm driving around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
EFI is nice the way the computer high idles when its cold and you don't have to kick the choke closed to start it, but if I were doing a big cubic inch snarling monster motor it would in my case have a carb, a daily driver I'd prefer the EFI.

My car was super reliable with an edelbrock 650 for years daily driven. 26mpg with 373s.

I'm one of those that ditched my efi for a dumb reason. I couldn't get my 347 to idle properly....come to find out an o2 wire was grounded to the frame. That 347 got yanked for a lifter breaking the keeper and sliding sideways on the cam....in went my 306....same carb. Never had a problem starting...and I ran the stock distributor.

Yeah I could've saved money on the intake, carb, return style fpr, regular fpr, various hoses, and AN fittings and fixed my efi for free. Then I wouldn't have had to find out what to spend the money on I made from selling my ported cobra intake, 30lb injectors, fuel lines, throttle body, CAI, and MAF. [emoji102]

Carburetors and fuel injection, is like comparing lp record albums to cd's. They both have their pluses and minuses. I being of the 70's generation, have favored carburetors. If you know what parts your upgrading to, you can pick a carb that will flow fuel just about right out of the box. Sometimes you've got to tinker, same with fuel injection. Only with injection, most of us can only get so far without having a shop do a custom fuel tune. If you live up high above 5,000 ft, fuel injection is the ticket. Carburetors can't compensate for altitude. Some of us like blondes, me I like tall brunettes!

EFI is nice the way the computer high idles when its cold and you don't have to kick the choke closed to start it, but if I were doing a big cubic inch snarling monster motor it would in my case have a carb, a daily driver I'd prefer the EFI.

My carb has no choke plate....and my right foot is my high idle control. lol

Reactions: 1 users
In my mustangs...EFI without a 2nd thought.

In any other "older" hotrod...either/or. I grew up with carbs and they don't bother me at all. And they are cheaper.

I will say I hate chasing electrical/EFI issues way more than the good old carb days. I miss their simplicity. I know very little about tuning/tinkering with any of the aftermarket systems. I also only have so much patience with it. I'm getting more crotchety with age. This is actually true with the entire hobby. I could have had my car done months ago...I just didn't want to work on it. Main reason I took it to my buddies shop(cost more and had to live with his time table-sucks) I still don't want to wrench on it(heresy I know). Clean it,polish it,change the oil,minor maintenance,drive it??? YES!!! Maybe I should buy a Vette?:) Nah. I'll stay with "my little pony"

Reactions: 2 users
I work on a lot of classic cars, muscle cars ect. It is a constant battle getting the young guys to learn how to start a carb car. They are so spoiled by EFI, just crank the engine, put in gear and go, regardless if it is hot/cold whatever. Put them in a carb car and they crank and crank and if the car starts they kill it by putting it into gear too soon, or they flood it ect ect ect. I try and teach them the "tricks" of starting a carb car, and the different things that have to be done, but it goes in one ear and out the other. Quite comical....they think carbs are too difficult to deal with.

:stir:EFI is awesome when it's working.....mine no workey :fuss::notnice::dammit: so I have a certain animosity towards it atm.

Carbs :stick: isn't that the thing that makes us older guys fat. Wait aren't carbs in beer, I like beer . So carbs are okay

My 85 gt runs like a champ, never touched it. My 71 Torino still ran great before finally parking it for tear down.

Carbs are in beer which makes them superior to EFI :stir::loser::flame:

:stir:EFI is awesome when it's working.....mine no workey :fuss::notnice::dammit: so I have a certain animosity towards it atm.

Carbs :stick: isn't that the thing that makes us older guys fat. Wait aren't carbs in beer, I like beer . So carbs are okay

My 85 gt runs like a champ, never touched it. My 71 Torino still ran great before finally parking it for tear down.

Carbs are in beer which makes them superior to EFI :stir::loser::flame:
PRE-cisely!

:worthlesa

My 85 Gt was my favorite mustang. It looked good, ran fine, but like a black cat, my black car almost was stolen 2 nd week I had it. Then 6 months later totaled by a schmuck on highway 280 in SF. Rear ended. Last of the carb mustangs.. Beer carbs don't count, I've got my body rigged up with a PCV valve. Breathes all that Budweiser right out. That and 3-4 days at the Gym!

This is what really gets me about a carb conversion. Guys that are frustrated( trust me I feel your pain. We've all been at that point) throw in the towel and slap on a carb. In reality the amount of time/ money/ effort it takes to properly convert a car to a carb set up it could have been diagnosed, repaired, and running a couple times over. I agree with @madmike1157 , you only need to diagnose and fix these things once. Bad over the counter parts side these are simple issues.

Yeah, there's zero chance I'm actually going with a carb on the car, I far prefer FI. If my POS doesn't stop eating TFI modules it won't get a carb, but it might wind up someone else's problem to figure out.

If you're chewing through modules then you have the world's worst luck at the store or you aren't using the correct paste and heat is killing them. Seriously, go to the jy and pull 2 distributors from the cars of your choice. Napa, oreillys, auto zone, they can all phellatio themselves. Their replacement parts are garbage.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're chewing through modules then you have the world's worst luck at the store or you aren't using the correct paste and heat is killing them. Seriously, go to the jy and pull 2 distributors from the cars of your choice. Napa, oreillys, auto zone, they can all phellatio themselves. Their replacement parts are garbage.

You haven't been to junkyards around here. I would literally have to be waiting at the yard when a car got pulled in to get that. Decent stuff gets picked fast, that's part of why I generally try to go new. I don't happily skip around from car to car picking off choice parts around here. Stripped shells with some junk hanging off are what I find. I usually have to pay good $ on ebay to get used stuff or drive a few hours to a guy that parts out Mustangs (and still pay good $).

If your chewing through tfi modules, and you've tried a Ford dealer module. They make relocation kits. That's what a lot of classic car guys do, they move theirs along with extension wires. Check online or your local speed shop. The biggest killer of any electric motor or transistor/ capacitor is heat. Sounds like you've got a lot of heat producing items on your Mustang.

For those if you that are overheating tfi modules, try Mccully racing motors. They make a relocation kit that is supposed to solve a lot of the stalling/ bucking problems that you guys are experiencing. It comes with a 36 inch cable for relocation to fender well. Sure got to be better than stock location. Anybody tried it?