Over the Top Question

• Sponsors (?)

Seriously, for 250-270 HP and fuel economy, get a 302 with vac secondaries and keep your right foot out of the engine compartment. The primaries will get you better mileage than a duece and I've found the only times my I6s have really shone is for bow-low crawling where you can take advantage of the great supply of torque.

Easiest is to start with something that is front engine/rear drive.

One thing that comes to mind is an injected 300 6 from a pickup. However, that's really identical to a 302 anyway. You could find a beatup or rusty Fox Mustang and swap the drivetrain from it into your car. 4, 6 or 8 - all would work.

Fuel economy has the most to do with air resistance and driver's habits(unless you have an undersized engine). Just having a smaller engine doesn't guarantee much better fuel economy unless the engine is so small that it can barely bring the car up to speed. Also, if you buy a cheap, tired 4 cylinder your mileage will not be impressive. You'll probably have your throttle floored all the time, cursing while everyone passes you.

Feel free to do what you want, but I prefer to have a fun car rather than saving a few dollars here and there. Probably tuning up the motor and driving sedately most of the time will get you nearly the same savings as a smaller engine. If you really want to save, buy an econobox and sell your Mustang - insurance savings might even be greater than the fuel savings.

malcons66 said:
all i can say is that this thread makes me want to go arm wrestle!!! remember the movie "over the top" with silvester stalone? oh yeah the hat is backwards

"over the top" was not a movie about arm wrestling, it was a heartwarming story about a man's newfound connection with his son.....made me cry.....

matt

0to100to0 said:
"over the top" was not a movie about arm wrestling, it was a heartwarming story about a man's newfound connection with his son.....made me cry.....

matt
I know what you mean.. kinda like that movie "Snoopy Come Home". That really broke me up. :p

Well, is it going to be an EFI 2.3 or a carbed 2.3?

Best deal would be just to get a 2.3 Fox and drive it. You can pick one up for around $1000-$1200. I think it'd cost at least half that to put one in a early Mustang and that's if you already had the engine and tranny. You'll have to modify or build a new driveshaft. You'll have to fabricate/modify a tranny crossmember. You'll have to fabricate motor mounts. You'll need to modify the wiring harness whether its EFI or carbed. You'll need to modify the exhaust. You'll need to build some radiator hoses out of a few different ones or use one of those whacky rubber fles ones, likely the 2.3 connections will be a different diameter than the radiator ones, so you;ll have to step it one way or the other. You'll need to modify the throttle linkage, I think the Foxes are cable which would be better than fabbing up a hard linkage. If it's a T-5, you'll have to do the cable conversion, if it's a auto, I'd just get a cable operated shifter. That's all the stuff I can think of off the top of my head.

it's funny what we'll do to save on gas

depending on how much this transfer is going to cost, it is going to take a while to recoup the cost through savings on gas......
i had this argument, err....discussion with a prius owner:

i did some math and came to the conclusion that, compared to a corolla (the top of the line one, XRS) you wouldn't catch up to the elevated sticker price of the prius for around 60K miles. and this is at $3/gallon gasoline, if u fa:ban: ctor in that it is more like 2 and a half dollars, and a base model corolla, then the difference is more like 80K miles...people just don't think things through....

however, i know that this is not entirely about gas mileage, i know you (the original poster) has other reasons in mind...

matt

0to100to0 said:

matt

i just want to say im sorry matt, i didnt mean to offend you. i just want to drive a big rig and arm wrestel..one day ill get there. (his son was a jerk)

ps..sorry to jack the thread!:owned:

shlby123 said:
The I6 is a decent engine but im looking more towards an FI Setup....So I can definitely see how a How the Fox 4 banger would be a much better choice. Anybody got some in-depth stuff on this swap. Anybody know how to get a hold of the guy with the vert that did it?

Put twin turbo's on the I6 and the guys/girls here would perhaps get excited about the project.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

26143642l3fs.gif

Attachments

• 26143642l3fs.gif
    26143642l3fs.gif
    7 KB · Views: 35
shlby123 said:
Im doing more it more than anything, to just do something different with the car, and that's what i want to do. What are the different prices ranges of these different setups? Im looking for like 400hp, but im tellin'you something in the 250-270 range would be optimum!

I didnt know I'd strike a chord with the idea of a 2.3T :D.

250-300hp is fairly easy to get out of a 2.3T, but you have to mix 'n' match factory parts from different years. The '84-85(I think) cars had the larger Garrett T3 turbo(.60/.63 air ratio) while '87-88 had a smaller IHI. Ironically, the '87-88 had a larger vane air meter(VAM) and larger 35 lb/hr injectors. Combine the best of both and you're on your way. You need a front-mount intercooler also.

Getting the T5 to fit is just like any other T5 swap into a classic. You'll probably need different engine mounts for the 2.3. Snoop around the 2.3 forum and see what else turns up.