overdrive unit?

BB67FB

Oct 11, 2004
Howdy!
Any one driving a stang with an overdrive unit in it? what kind? did you install it yourself? pros and cons? I am considering a overdrive unit for my mustang - just installed 4.11 gears and love the performance, but the rpms are pretty high at highway speeds! thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I have the G-V unit in my car and love it. I installed it at home with the car on jack stands, without assistance. I decided to have a new driveshaft made rather than have the original one shortened. A few electrical connections, an adapter for the speedo cable and it was done.

Only had one small problem, the speedo cable was forced to bend tightly due to the trans tunnel. It failed quickly, G-V replaced it at no charge, I purchased a 90 degree adapter and it has worked without issue ever since.

I thought about going with a 5 speed, but dont want to do the mods on my stang. I have a 289 in it right now, but in the near future I will be going back to a big block - either a 390 or a 428 - and hope to push about 400-500hp, depending on which engine i go with. how hard was the six speed to install? do you drag race your car? Mine sees limited use on the track, but im not very nice to her when I am there.... :) Gotta give her some love, right? :)

I thought about going with a 5 speed, but dont want to do the mods on my stang. I have a 289 in it right now, but in the near future I will be going back to a big block - either a 390 or a 428 - and hope to push about 400-500hp, depending on which engine i go with. how hard was the six speed to install? do you drag race your car? Mine sees limited use on the track, but im not very nice to her when I am there.... :) Gotta give her some love, right? :)

I have put 10k+ very hard miles on this combo with no issues. I drag race, road race, and generally drive this car hard (it is a toy). My buddy had a Richmond ROD in his vette and did yearly cross country trips with his vette club. He also drag raced and auto crossed it without issue. They aint cheap, but it sure is cool to have a 66 Mustang with a true 6 speed.

You can check out my install here http://www.2mfffabshop.com/rod.htm

I'll definately agree that the ROD trans is a badass unit. If I had the cash, I'd go that route myself. If you want ease of installation and a bullet proof 5 speed, go with an Astro or a G-Force T5. I don't think a gear vendors unit will take big block punishment....

I'll definately agree that the ROD trans is a badass unit. If I had the cash, I'd go that route myself. If you want ease of installation and a bullet proof 5 speed, go with an Astro or a G-Force T5. I don't think a gear vendors unit will take big block punishment....

From what I've read, the gear vendors units are pretty bulletproof. A big block is no problem for them.

id love to have a gear vendors unit in mine but id have to loose my TCP X-frame assembly and redo the stainless exhaust i just did. wondering also how much weight the GV unit adds. does anyone make an add on OD that bolts up to the front of the differential instead of behind the transmisson?

id love to have a gear vendors unit in mine but id have to loose my TCP X-frame assembly and redo the stainless exhaust i just did. wondering also how much weight the GV unit adds. does anyone make an add on OD that bolts up to the front of the differential instead of behind the transmisson?

the old hone-o-drive units bolted up the pinion flange of the rearend but they went out of business a long time ago. finding one of those is extremely difficult. do a search over the last few pages of this forum and you'll find a discussion on the hone unit that another member is installing right now. awesome units but rare as hens teeth and expensive when you can find one. i've been looking for several years.

I ran a G-V unit on my F-350 Turbodeisel +100 h.p. +125lbs torque chip.
The truck was heavy & lifted w/35inch tires and I pulled a 27ft. toyhauler loaded to the gills alot.
I beat the crap outta that truck (shreaded the E4OD tranny) - never had any issues with the G-V unit over the 110,000 miles I put on it.