Overflow Tank Problems

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I ordered an aftermarket Overflow tank hose/tube last year through Mustangs Unlimited. They never send me this hose that I needed. Instead of waiting because i needed the hose right away i found a hose the same size. That hose is no longer working good. The hose is cracking. It was a cheap hose not like the original hose they give you with the overflow tank. Any ideas where I can find this hose without buying the whole overflow tank?

Also my original FORD OEM overflow tank cap with the sensor doesnt twist on right onto the top of the aftermarket overflow tank. Guess OEM Cap doesnt work with aftermarket overflow tank? Where can i get that cap?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

The hose/tube I'm talking about is below. The black hose you see.

View attachment 400079

• Sponsors (?)

What's the issue with the hose you're using? I often will use fuel line as a replacement and haven't noticed any issues. Maybe we can find you something decent that can come from a parts store.

I'd certainly hope that an OEM style overflow bottle would accept the overflow sensor and cap. Can you compare the old tank with your new one - perhaps there's a burr on the new one that can be filed or Dremel'd down.

Good luck.

What's the issue with the hose you're using? I often will use fuel line as a replacement and haven't noticed any issues. Maybe we can find you something decent that can come from a parts store.

I'd certainly hope that an OEM style overflow bottle would accept the overflow sensor and cap. Can you compare the old tank with your new one - perhaps there's a burr on the new one that can be filed or Dremel'd down.

Good luck.

Hey hissin,

Well its an aftermarket style OVERFLOW bottle and the overflow sensor and cap are OEM. I threw out my old one last year when i got the new one.

The hose im using seems maybe a little too short. On top where it goes on to the radiator the hose must got as much up as it can go right (like on that nipple thing). mine doesnt go on all the way and thats where it was leaking from. i push it up and it comes down again.

I hope you understand what I'm saying?

I guess I don't understand. If the overlow bottle is an aftermarket piece, were we expecting the stock sensor and cap to fit in the first place? I wouldn't (except for something like the Canton overflows, which do accept a stock sensor and cap).

Roland and I are on the same page. Measure the I.D. of your existing hose and go get some from the parts store that's the same I.D.

Good luck.

I guess I don't understand. If the overlow bottle is an aftermarket piece, were we expecting the stock sensor and cap to fit in the first place? I wouldn't (except for something like the Canton overflows, which do accept a stock sensor and cap).

Roland and I are on the same page. Measure the I.D. of your existing hose and go get some from the parts store that's the same I.D.

Good luck.

But it doesnt fit for some reason. Can i buy an aftermarket overflow cap with sensor?

ALso Hissin, I'm almost postive when I bought it it said it accept low coolant sensor??

Goto a junkyard or ebay and get a real oem reserve bottle.
Aftermarket stock style replacement parts suck, they always have and probably always will. Never fit right, never last.
To get you by, just use some rubber hose from a chain store, i don't know what you put on there last time, but if it only lastest a year, there is some serious issue with it.