Overheated TFI module?

Brandon11010

Jul 18, 2005
So i was wondering if any of you have experienced this issue, my TFI module on the distributor gets so hot you cant hold your finger on it, engine temp is normal 190. but the distrubutor and module are very very hot. So the problem iv had today is that while driving i drop cylinders, timing goes out the window, wont idle, misfires. Let car cool down for 30 min and it fires up and runs fine for about 15-20 min, then dies again and wont run. All the wiring pinpoint tests test okay, no excessive resistance, voltage or paths to ground, so i was leaning twords the module(have tried more than one module and having same issue)..i was thinking about making a mounting bracket and mouting the Module away from the distributor and running wires to the distributor. Has anyone had this issue?

• Sponsors (?)

It's a very common issue with the Foxes, to the point that Ford moved the TFI off of the distributor for the 94-95 models. I'm not sure what would be involved in doing the conversion, but I'm sure it's doable.

Ford even had a class action lawsuit regarding the high failure rate tfi had because of the location of the module. Relocating it wouldn't be bad. The module is running hotter than everything else because it generates heat.

I would definately get and install a new module, but you could try and reset your old module if you really think it's still good. At any rate, make sure you use the white paste heat sink compound provided (you could probably find new HS paste at Radio Shack if you really wanted to go that route). It works just like the heat sink on your computer CPU, just a matter of heat transfer. If you are not getting good heat transfer it can't disperse the heat and cool off as well.

Yea iv used plenty of di-electric grease, but it still fails on multiple modules. I even went so far as to buy a new MSD distributor and it blew out the module on that very shortly after i installed it.. so i guess ill get a new Motorcraft TFI module from work and maybe try my own re-location modification lol

yea i bought a Motorcraft one from work $117 employee price lol ouch.. Heat sink grease huh? i was told this motorcraft dieelectric grease was what i should use.. can i get heatsink grease at the local parts store? I plan on doing a re-locate this weekend so im hoping it works out for now to get me to work, if i blow out that spendy motorcraft one ill be upset lol. Oh and if you looking to re-locate it i found a neat site that gave me some good ideas heres link: Remote Mount TFI Ignition Module