overheating a little

9350coupe

May 11, 2005
chicago
Stock fan
3 core radiator I think

My car runs about 180-200 degrees. when its cold the over flow is very very low. When I drive the car it still runs around 180-200 degrees Then the overflow will fill all the way up and coolant will come out. right after i shut car off. ANY IDEAS? The car never goes over 200 degrees. no white smoke! My radiator bad?

Thanks for help

• Sponsors (?)

Probably nothing to worry about. When the coolant heats up it expands, and overflows into the overflow tank. When it cools back down its volume will decrease, and the overflow will drain back to the motor.

Just make sure that whether cold or hot you are measuring the coolant level by the correct line on the overflow tank. Otherwise you could be over filling, which would cause the spilling over that you describe.

jason

what vristang said plus I would have the radiator cap checked out at your favorite auto store, at 200 degrees it has been my experience that you usually don't build up enough pressure to "pop off" a 16 lb. cap. Just another thing to check and verify, this is assuming that this overflow thing is a recent event and hasn't been a problem for ever.

I'd put an electric fan on your motor and you'll probably see it drop in temp. My car runs about 190 at hottest and I have nearly 400 HP. You can also try running redline to drop the temps. Good luck!

Killer50stang said:
I'd put an electric fan on your motor and you'll probably see it drop in temp. My car runs about 190 at hottest and I have nearly 400 HP. You can also try running redline to drop the temps. Good luck!

what t-stat are you running?
In my experience this has more to do with coolant temps than fans or radiators (assuming they are at least nearly adequate).

9350coupe
What t-stat are you running?
Do you have any mods on the motor?

vristang said:
In my experience this has more to do with coolant temps than fans or radiators (assuming they are at least nearly adequate).

9350coupe
Yes I have a V2/SQ w/ aftercooler that I'm selling Its in midwest classified

180 Thermostat

vristang said:

9350coupe

I run a 160 and my fans are set to a switch that run all the time and not at a certain temp. I have a stock waterpump and Alum radiator. 200 isn't terrible, but I'd perfer to be lower.

Killer50stang said:
I run a 160 and my fans are set to a switch that run all the time and not at a certain temp. I have a stock waterpump and Alum radiator. 200 isn't terrible, but I'd perfer to be lower.

Actually 200 isn't that bad. I have read (from several good sources) that coolant temps below 190-200 will cause an increase in cyl wear. Guys that run a 160 on a daily driver are bound to rebuild more often. Also, if you are using forged Al pistons I would recommend a 190-200 temp range, as the Al pistons tend to wear quickly anyway. I am actually running a 197* stat in my current setup, which would probably have to change with boost.

So you are running a 180 stat and your coolant temp is running from 180 to 200, on a vehicle with boost (I assume that is what a V2/SQ does, but I'm not sure).

I don't think that this is much to worry about. Running lower temps will only lead to increased engine wear. You probably will not see much power gain by running cooler, and may notice a drop in economy as well.

Just to make sure you are in good shape...
Under what conditions do you experience the higher temps?

9350coupe said:
Any other ideas
I agree with Jason all the way, but since you want it to run cooler, let's try to help you accomplish that.
I did not happen to see when the car 'runs hot' - does it run hotter at speed, at idle, both, etc? Provide as much info as you can. You are going to be getting small returns for the parts outlay - you are not running hot at all (unless it is cold in Chicago right now). Your engine temps for 90* days (a wild guess of temps you might see) with a blower sound decent to me.

Good luck.