overheating

• Sponsors (?)

How hot is it running?
Does it run cooler at speed or at idle?

Has work been done recently to the system?

You're going to need to provide a lot more info to get any useful answers.

okay i just got the car and got it running after sitting for about 2 yrs. i finally got it running and took it for test drive yesterday and it gets up to about 230 degrees. it is 87 stang with 93 cobra engine and a vortech supercharger. it has factory radiator with electric fan. it seems to take a while to get warm but once it hits about 180 degrees it climbs up towards 230 before i shut it off.

Depending on what thermostat you have, warm the car up to 180 degrees, with the radiator cap off, see if the coolant is or starts circulating coolant through the radiator. You might need to replace your thermostat if the coolant is not circulating, especially over 190+

is the rad shot? if its the stocker im betting it is, give it a good lookin at. how about the t-stat? check the timeing. thats how id start lookin.

Depending on what thermostat you have, warm the car up to 180 degrees, with the radiator cap off, see if the coolant is or starts circulating coolant through the radiator. You might need to replace your thermostat if the coolant is not circulating, especially over 190+

Start there, that will also help burp the system of any air, you will be able to see the coolant circulate. How do you run the electrical fan?

i have a 347 supercharged lx that also ran hot but i installed a row radiator and dual cooling fans from a contour and i also installed a fan controller and now it'll always stay at 180* even in traffic.this set up works great!there was an article in muscle mustangs and fast fords about this exact cooling package.its in the july 2009 issue.it has a bright bluse shelby on the cover.

i'm sorry,i didn't memtion it was a three row radiator.i did have a 2 row aluminum with an electric fan.these were aftermarket parts.get hold of the article,it walks you through the fan install.