Oxidation or Fading

Adverse2Change

Aug 21, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Are there sure fire signs of paint being heavily oxidized versus the paint just fading? One of the doors on my dad's car is looks pretty faded, and I'm sort of thinking it has something to do with the wax not being completely buffed over the years and the sun baking it. I want to fix this *if* I can over Thanksgiving, so I need some advice on which type of product I should use..... if any. I plan on trying a claybar that I have to see if that helps any.

• Sponsors (?)

Has it ever been repainted? Most likely it is oxidization and can be fixed. I would recommend claying the whole vehicle and then using a polish. If you are going to be doing by hand I would use Poorboys SSR1 or the Pro Polish. Then you would top with a wax or sealant. I carry both of these products as well as some pretty awesome waxes and sealants. Check out my website at www.obsessivedetail.com. Let me know if you have any product questions. Thanks!

I think I'm going to try the claybar on the bad areas, and take pictures of the rest. I'll be back down there at Christmas so I can do all the work then. But at least that way I can post some pics just to make sure I buy the appropriate products.