PA Alternator + PA directions = SMOKE!!!!

djk8705

Sep 30, 2003
Fairfax, Va
So today I'm working on the car and at differnt points i have the car on and its idling there and im smelling this weird smell of burning rubber so i turn the car off... I look around for somthin and i cant find anything... So i have the car idling and im looking for the smell and thats when i find it!!

The two stock wires that PA SAYS TO PUT IN WITH THE NEW CABLE are melting and smokeing and ahh... so i quickly turn off the car and then disconnect the battery and i pull off the cables and it looks like i might have ruined the end of my new cable and i deffinatly got melted plastic on the back of my alternator but im hoping that the smokeing wasnt from inside too and that i didnt fry the alternator!!! I havent hooked it back up yet because it was getting real dark but i will tommro... some advice DONT FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS!!!!! so do you guys think it might have messed up my alternator at all???

ahh ... i just needed to get that out... im sooo mad at PA PERFORMANCE right now haha

• Sponsors (?)

djk8705 said:
So today I'm working on the car and at differnt points i have the car on and its idling there and im smelling this weird smell of burning rubber so i turn the car off... I look around for somthin and i cant find anything... So i have the car idling and im looking for the smell and thats when i find it!!

The two stock wires that PA SAYS TO PUT IN WITH THE NEW CABLE are melting and smokeing and ahh... so i quickly turn off the car and then disconnect the battery and i pull off the cables and it looks like i might have ruined the end of my new cable and i deffinatly got melted plastic on the back of my alternator but im hoping that the smokeing wasnt from inside too and that i didnt fry the alternator!!! I havent hooked it back up yet because it was getting real dark but i will tommro... some advice DONT FOLLOW THEIR DIRECTIONS!!!!! so do you guys think it might have messed up my alternator at all???

ahh ... i just needed to get that out... im sooo mad at PA PERFORMANCE right now haha
Everyone on here tells you NOT to do that. I myself was thinking of emailing them, and telling them that it shouldnt be in their directions. If you buy a alt from them, you must buy there wire kit or get your own cable. Them seem like a good enough company that they would put in their directions, DO NOT USE STOCK WIRES. I had my stock alt catch on fire about 3 years ago. It wasnt a good thing to happen, so I took no chances this time. Hope it didnt hurt anything.:shrug:

Dave

I can't remember if my 3G instructions said to use the stock connector or not??? I did this 3 months ago and used their 4gauge cable and fuse. Plus, I read on the corral and stangnet that its a bad idea to use the stock wires. AND, I talked to the tech line before my purchase and they said its not a good idea because your upgrading to 3G because you have HIGHER current needs and the stock wires can't deliver the increased current. Plus, when I was installing the alt, I noticed the stock plastic power connector was melted and one of the contacts was blackened.

Your probably ok, upgrade the power wire and verify you have 14.7 volts on the battery terminals. You probably just super heated the stock wires and melted the jacket. Its in a split loom (stock) for most of the wire run. I would not run it until you replace the power wires.

Also, you should feedback your experience to PA. I am sure they would be genuinely concerned at your experience.

Ya i did the wire ungrade and That is still in there... its goign to be the only wire hooked up to that terminal now.. We shall see if any damage was done tommro I guess. And what really sucks, is that just a cuple of weeks ago I said I was going to take those wires off "just in case" after reading a thread about their directions....

92GreenGt - You really should call them.... I know I will if the alternator is damaged and I'm going to be pretty upset cuz at that price I paid it should come with the right directions!!!

I hooked the stock black/orange wires up with my 2ga wire and I've not had a problem. I would mention one thing - If you run a fuse or other protective device on the 2ga wire and it fails, it will certainly smoke the stock wires fuse link in short order and may start a fire! Are you sure your other larger cable connection is good? That is why I didn't put in the water proof 12v 150A curcuit breaker I bought for the 2ga wire.

I used a 4g wire to the battery and the stock wires on the side terminal... where do the little stock wires on the side terminal connect to (on the car) I would like to upgrade them. I get a low charge with the lights and radio on...

87'GTstang said:
I would have thought that news about the infamous 2 black/orange wires would have reached most people by now :shrug:

You have to leave them connected at one end or both. If you leave them off the alternator be sure to leave the end at the starter soleniod connected or your alternator voltage regulator will not work.