Pacific Raceway Car Club Challenge #2 this Friday (May 23rd)

• Sponsors (?)

I will try to make it. Its in the plans atleast, but I really want to get a new oil pump in it before I run it this year. My pressure seems to be awefully low and I'm not sure whats causing it but a new oil pump could never hurt.. Unless you know something about it that I don't. Let me know your opinion....

The oil pressure stays at about 30psi. Even when I jump on it, it never raises above like 35-40ish'. After getting on it pretty hard, it then drops to nothing when I come to a stop and only raises back up when I start moving. Any ideas?

I will try to make it. Its in the plans atleast, but I really want to get a new oil pump in it before I run it this year. My pressure seems to be awefully low and I'm not sure whats causing it but a new oil pump could never hurt.. Unless you know something about it that I don't. Let me know your opinion....

The oil pressure stays at about 30psi. Even when I jump on it, it never raises above like 35-40ish'. After getting on it pretty hard, it then drops to nothing when I come to a stop and only raises back up when I start moving. Any ideas?

Replace the oil sending unit first. It's next to the oil filter, looks like a small beehive and has a wire attached to the top. See if that makes a difference. When did you start seeing this issue?

Replace the oil sending unit first. It's next to the oil filter, looks like a small beehive and has a wire attached to the top. See if that makes a difference. When did you start seeing this issue?

About a month after I dropped the engine in. I will try the sending unit. That is the second time I have been told to try that... Must be a good idea.. lol..... I'll keep you updated!

About a month after I dropped the engine in. I will try the sending unit. That is the second time I have been told to try that... Must be a good idea.. lol..... I'll keep you updated!

The units go bad and give false readings. You don't want to rebuild an engine based on false info. Did this drop in oil pressure correlate to any known occurrence -overheating, an oil change, etc?

About the only thing I can think of is the oil pressure sending unit. Mine did that about 1 1/2 months ago and thats all it was. Does the performance seem to be affected at all?

The units go bad and give false readings. You don't want to rebuild an engine based on false info. Did this drop in oil pressure correlate to any known occurrence -overheating, an oil change, etc?

Nope, nothing significant happend that I noticed other than an oil change...

About the only thing I can think of is the oil pressure sending unit. Mine did that about 1 1/2 months ago and thats all it was. Does the performance seem to be affected at all?

Performance doesn't seem to be affected. I will try the sending unit and be at the track on Friday.

:flag:

getting some tuning done on fri. anything going on for saturday?

We have good weather predicted for Friday. We have four remaining events at PR for the entire year. I suggest you tune at the track or put off tuning till next week. In this part of the country, when you have a chance to race, take it. You may not get another such chance for a long time. The third race scheduled for PR is June 27th and the fourth race is in August.

Even though we were rained out on Friday, they let me go back and race Saturday with Fridays tech card. It was a bad day at the track, for many reasons... Two cars recked and a few broke. Which means, a lot of down time for the track.. But atleast the drivers of the cars were OK.

We only got one time trial before we had to dial in. Which wasnt good for me cause I have no idea what the cars potential is from just one run. But here are the numbers from that run:

60' 2.17
330 6.00
1/8 9.07
MPH 80.03
1000 11.72
1/4 13.95
MPH 101.0

Last years numbers are in my signature.... :shrug:

There's more in it. I suspect a little more advance and some fuel pressure adjustments would've netted better times. You seemed to bog a little on the launch so there's some room for improvement there too. You have the mph for 13.40's or so, although you'd probably need drag radials for that. Keep in mind you dropped a half second off last year's best time on the first pass. That is a significant improvement! My best time with my '87 prior to installing all the Explorer parts was a 13.59 (although it usually ran 13.80's) . My first pass with the new parts netted a 13.51. By the end ot that day I had it down to 13.21 just by advancing the timing.

What was the best pass by your friend in his modded GTO?

I look at Saturday as spending all evening at the track and making two passes for free. Can't beat that.

I agree there is more in it and some of it is in the 60' so like john says some timing and better tires should put you near my 89 aod car (1.95 60') at that you would be 13.75 or better.
Keep in touch, glad you broke into the 13`s.

There's more in it. I suspect a little more advance and some fuel pressure adjustments would've netted better times. You seemed to bog a little on the launch so there's some room for improvement there too. You have the mph for 13.40's or so, although you'd probably need drag radials for that. Keep in mind you dropped a half second off last year's best time on the first pass. That is a significant improvement! My best time with my '87 prior to installing all the Explorer parts was a 13.59 (although it usually ran 13.80's) . My first pass with the new parts netted a 13.51. By the end ot that day I had it down to 13.21 just by advancing the timing.

What was the best pass by your friend in his modded GTO?

He ran a 13.28 at 109 MPH and that was letting out of it just before the end of the track cause he had no idea why the guy he was racing never launched as he is still new to racing... I was actually really impressed cause his first run was a 15.50.. LOL , HAHAHAHA.. What a retard! We are going back to use our free trip, AGAIN, this Friday. So we both will be there AGAIN! Hopefully we actually get to do some racing this time.

I agree there is more in it and some of it is in the 60' so like john says some timing and better tires should put you near my 89 aod car (1.95 60') at that you would be 13.75 or better.
Keep in touch, glad you broke into the 13`s.

Will do! Good to see you again. Call us when you got a free evening for dinner.

:flag: