Paint Color and Heat

DocG

5th graders > me. They're not bant
Sep 25, 2005
Cincinnati area
Sitting in my office, just thinking about some stupid ****. Do you think paint color has any significant effect on the temp of the air under the hood being sucked into the engine?

Theoretically a white car stays cooler than a black, but I wonder by how much? Where's mythbusters when you need them? My myth that I will start, white cars are the fastest.

• Sponsors (?)

theroetically yes. The sun is attracted to darker colors and heats them up faster. I do believe mythbusters did a similar test, but i think it was on interior temps. If your engine bay was completely sealed, yes it would make a big difference. Just think about what temps your engine runs... your exhaust manifolds/headers put out tons of heat, how hot your "coolant" gets. Surely the sun can not come close to match the heat output of your engine.

I did find this link to other testing... gives you an idea of some numbers

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/cartemp/index.htm

clockstopper said:
Surely the sun can not come close to match the heat output of your engine.

I'm guessing your junior high school science teacher would die if he saw this statement...the sun only heats an entire planet :rolleyes: ...but I know what your saying and I'm just busting your chops. :D

I guess the temp inside the engine bay is so hot already, a little heat from the paint on the hood isn't going to change it any. Like I said...just made me wonder if there was any diff....even if it was .5 of a degree.

Based on that guys study, I'm not sure how he can equate the temp of the windshield to be similar to the temp inside the car. Inside is sealed and the heat just builds. The window is subject to be able to release some of the heat since it is exposed plus any wind or moving air will cool it some too.

Yeah i've always heard that statement. But in terms of interior heat is it really that much? If you have a white car and a black car out in the middle of a hot parkinglot and you leave em there for a few hours is the diff. really that big? I could care less cause as soon as you get in either car both of are hot as f**k.

No kidding. I'm totally addicted. When I had the stang...all I thought about was trying to get the rattling noise in the engine fixed and how to mod it...now that its gone, all I think about is getting another V8 to play with.

BTW...I bet the color of the interior is the key factor in interior heat retention. But you're right, when you're getting into a mustang gt...who the **** cares how hot the damn car is...it flies right?