Painted side view mirrors

spederman

Apr 13, 2005
Has anybody painted their side view mirrors to match the car? Got any pics? Thinkin about doing it on my white car. Wondering if it will look good all white or look better leaving the black.

• Sponsors (?)

if they're stock mirrors you will need to sand the texture off, and from what I understand they don't look all that great painted.

if you're going for the 03 cobra sideview mirror look, it's better to fork out the dough, cause they look killer.

man i would love to get the cobra mirrors, but wtf is with the prices. I know they used to be like $160 per pair like the regular mirrors. But just because us GT owners wanted them, they get jacked up to $300-400 each! F that BS. Not even ebay has any for sale right now

Only mirrors I like painted are the 03/04 Cobra mirrors. They look classy

For some reason, painting the entire non-flipping mirror a solid color reminds me of a cheap paint job where they paint the trim as well. I dunno why it does, but i don't like that look at all. Leave em black

man i would love to get the cobra mirrors, but wtf is with the prices. I know they used to be like $160 per pair like the regular mirrors. But just because us GT owners wanted them, they get jacked up to $300-400 each! F that BS. Not even ebay has any for sale right now

you can blame Ford for jacking up the prices. There has been an explosion of 03/04 cobra parts sales, and Ford seeing the capital gains potential there from the explosion in sales, has jacked all the prices up on all the 03/04 cobra parts.

Ford alone wants over $700 for 03/04 cobra mirrors unpainted!!!

it's ridiculous man. watch svtperformance.com in the Market area under cobra parts...you can usually score a pair for around $300-$400 shipped.

good luck.

Gosh, my old Firebird (sorry for using that "F" word here), had painted mirrors from the factory. They sold "mirror bras" for them because painted mirrors are so very susceptible to nicks, chips, scratches, etc, from just "hanging out there".

I painted mine after some stupid girl hit me and I had to repair my fender and door. I had left over paint so I wet sanded the mirrors and sprayed them. Came out nice.
PICT0151.jpg

View attachment 314636
PICT0147.jpg

WOw, that looks awesome. Very nice car and really helps me picture what my car will look like.

Definately makes me want to try it now. Did you paint it yourself? Do you mind posting a how-to type thing, like how you wet sanded and what grit,type of paint used,etc.. I would really appreciate it :nice:

Some models that came with body color matching painted mirrors were:
1989 Saleen SSC
1990 - 1993 Saleen SC
1992-1/2 Limited Edition
1993 Limited Edition
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra (Just the mirror housing)
2004 40th Anniversary (Just the mirror housing)
2004-Ford-Mustang-40th-Anniversary-P51-1280x960.jpg

I never liked the 2 tone cobra mirrors. I looked at them after the accident when I had to replace the mirror and they just look wierd. Like the color didnt belong.

I used 600 grit sand paper and wet sanded and worked my way up to 1000 grit to get rid of all the texture on the mirrors. I used the same paint I used to repaint the door and the new fender. I got the paint from orileys. Just brought my paint code into them and the paint was a perfect match. Then I taped off the mirror and cleaned the whole part. I had my friend shoot the paint since he is better at it them me. We primed it then painted the cleared. I never got around to wet sanding them but will someday.

Here are some pics from when we did it.
View attachment 314412
062407_10361.jpg

062407_11231.jpg