Painting A Gt Bodykit

Vaz88GT

Apr 8, 2012
Alright so I have some money and i'm ready to start painting all the gray on my 88 mustang to the medium scarlet on my body.

Yes its going to be rattle :( but honestly it cant look worse than it is. Anyhow..

What kind of paint do I need? Again this is just the plastic bodykit from a gt. And can I get it at auto zone or ..?

Does it need primered?

And what kind of sandpaper?

This is my first time painting a car, my father is going to help but i'm trying to be as independent on it as possible, thanks for the help guys!

• Sponsors (?)

First things first...

Is the current paint chipping or flaking off? If so, it needs to be at least feathered back to where it isn't peeling anymore, then reprimed in those areas.

Sandpaper depends on what you have to do. If it is peeling, then you should have a dual action sander with 80-100 grit paper to remove the old paint. If the paint is just old looking, then a simple scuff with 400 grit should be fine.

As far as the paint goes... are you sure you really want to rattle can it? It maybe can't look worse than it is, but a rattle can isn't going to look much better. Depending on what tools you have available, you could potentially repaint this the proper way for a few hundred dollars. For that matter, I bet if you prepped everything, you could run it to Maaco and get them to do it for pretty cheap. If you haven't done it, I really recommend you do some research to see what it is going to cost to have it resprayed professionally. Rattle canning it will still cost you something, and the labor to do even that will be enough to make a couple hundred dollars difference worth it in the end.

Well the paint isnt flacking, its fadded through, around the edges of the bumpers the yellow foaming ( or whatever ) is showing. Here is a picture..

PICT0040.jpg

Image05022012175402.jpg

View attachment 147852
Also say I sand and primer it, is macco worth it? I mean as long as it looks nice and stays on for more than a year that's fine. I dont plan on keeping this car forever, its a dd and I plan on fixing it as much as possible to flip it and get preferably a notchback.

Don't rattle can it. Not to be mean, but if you had to ask if you needed to sand/prime then you should not be painting. Save some time and wait until you have the money for a painter to do it. If nothing else take it to MACCO since you plan on flipping it for a coupe within a year or two.

Well the paint isnt flacking, its fadded through, around the edges of the bumpers the yellow foaming ( or whatever ) is showing. Here is a picture..

Also say I sand and primer it, is macco worth it? I mean as long as it looks nice and stays on for more than a year that's fine. I do plan on keeping this car forever, its a dd and I plan on fixing it as much as possible to flip it and get preferably a notchback.

:scratch: wut

If you really must rattle can it....take your car over to a reputable auto body paint shop and have them mix a couple of them up for you....with quality automotive paint, the proper flex agents and a little fish eye remover.

I have painted the silver on 4 foxes. It is not the same color every year, but the cool part is you don't need to clear it. It's easily shot and done. Just sand the yellow parts down starting with 80-120-220-400-600 and make sure you have a smooth surface. Once it's smooth, if you choose scratch it with red scotchbrite for adhesion, but the 600 should be adequate.

Make sure you wash after sanding and use tack cloth in between these steps to minimize and eliminate dust/contaminants getting into your paint.

Do light coats and stick to 3-4 coats.

Stand back and enjoy your work.

Reactions: 1 users