parking brake light stays on

5.0fresh

Jun 10, 2007
i got a quick dumb question but i gotta ask, what is going on when the parking brake light on the dash turns on when i get on the throttle and it stays on pretty much the whole time until i come to a complete stop. and when i start going again it pops right back on

• Sponsors (?)

The BRake light serves as an indicator of the e-brake being on as well as a low-fluid warning light.

If it comes on when you go WOT, your fluid is more than likely low. Usually that means your caliper pistons are extended pretty far and it might be time for a brake job.

I fixed my problem by replacing the caliper. There was a crack in one of the cylinders causing it to leak brake fluid. That's the reason the fluid was so low, and that the brake light stayed on.

Yeah mine did this, when you get on the gas the fluid slushes back and sensor falls to a lower level and trips the light on the dash. I had a leak at the proportioning valve, and you probably have a leak too. Check the back of all of your wheels / tires for a start.

This thread is now six years old, but the content is still quite valid.

My '91 just started doing the same thing and this post helped confirm it may be the e-brake switch (my first thought since gets used a lot, and obviously make the light go on and off ) or perhaps the brake fluid is low (never seen that before, wasn't sure if there was a sensor or not.) High Gs cause it, and that could conceivably affect either one. No fluid visible on the wheels. It's happening with less and less aggressive starts, so...dammit looks like low fluid (and getting lower.) I'm betting on rear brake piston(s)... Can't Ford make them last longer than 23 years, lol!