Parking brake tightening by itself

zlyles

Jan 29, 2008
About a week ago I noticed it felt like my brakes were on while I was driving. Next time I stopped and put my parking break on, I noticed the break was over twice is tight as it normally is. It's been doing this on and off, and now I can see the wear on my back rotors. Anybody know what in the world would make it do this?

Zak

• Sponsors (?)

About a week ago I noticed it felt like my brakes were on while I was driving. Next time I stopped and put my parking break on, I noticed the break was over twice is tight as it normally is. It's been doing this on and off, and now I can see the wear on my back rotors. Anybody know what in the world would make it do this?

Zak

I have an 84 with AOD so the ebrake never got used. When used it would get stuck. Had to get a mechanic to loosen it.

Ended up replacing both the rear ebrake cables from Paddock.com not too expensive and problem solved. Only the SVO disk cables are expensive. 5.0drums are cheap and high quality rubber coated.

Now I use it occassionally just to keep stuff working and loose.

Zak

Did you do the Handbrake Mod when you converted to Rear Discs?

Unfortunately I don't know much of the mod's that were done, as I bought the car as it is now. I've had the car for 3 months now, and I always used the parking break when parking before with no problems.

It acutally isn't "tightening" so to say, more like it's sticking when it's used, and slowly releases itself. If I disengage the parking break and come back 30 min later, the brakes will be freed up again.

Zak