Parking brake??

cobra11182

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2000
Baltimore, MD
I just replaced my parking brake equalizer, the short cable that connects the parking brake lever and assembly to the 2 e-brake cables. So I got everything hooked up, and I need to know how to reset the tension in the cable, cause the ebrake engages when the lever is all the way down. Any input would help, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You need to adjust the tension on your e-brake cable. You'll need to take out your console to do it. Once you get the console out you'll see an adjustment nut on the brake lever. Back that out (loosen it) until it's adjusted right.

cobra11182 said:
I just replaced my parking brake equalizer, the short cable that connects the parking brake lever and assembly to the 2 e-brake cables. So I got everything hooked up, and I need to know how to reset the tension in the cable, cause the ebrake engages when the lever is all the way down. Any input would help, thanks
If you replaced the short cable that attaches to the hand brake lever, that is where the adjustment is. There should be a threaded rod with an adjusting nut to increase or decrease slack. (if memory serves correctly)

See http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/brake.html for help with the emergency brake - the stock setup tends to lock up and not release properly. The ebrake handle on 87 and later models must be modified by removing the spring, and tack welding the pawl and ratchet assembly. The M2801A cable assemby then fits the handle assembly. It uses a nut on the threaded rod part of the cable to adjust the parking brake cable tension.

OOPS - this tip is good for disc brakes, I just re-read your post and it says drum... :bang: Sorry...

the link you gave me is good, but I dont want to cut or weld anything, cause nothing is broken yet. I just need to adjust the cable tension. Does anyone know if the system is made to be self adjustable? I just cant figure out how to set the tension correctly, so that my brake isn ot engaged when the lever s down. Someone HAS to ahve done this before. Anyone
???

I think only the brake shoes are self adjusting...I was looking around online myself and came to the conclusion that you would change the cable at the same time you change your rear shoes, as there is no adjustments to be made. I would love to know the real answer myself.

Right. Jack up the back and back off on the rear shoes. Block the fronts, take it out of gear, and start cranking away back down there- it's easier to know you got it right if you pull the rear wheels off and gauge by turning your drums by hand then by turning the whole wheel. The adjuster is down on the bottom, you should be able to hit it with a screwdriver through the backing plate. Know in advance that it's a PIA, and may require more patience than you have to spare. you also may find that your adjuster gear is frozen, hope not, but it happens alot. Good luck!

You are saying that the ebrake cable is too tight since it is engaged with the lever down? If so, first make sure the rear wheels are adjusted properly. You may need to take the drum off to get the adjuster turned back. This should give you some slack in the lines, hopefully enough. If not, then the spring in the handle is probably wound too tight. Did you have to take it apart to replace the cable? I replaced my cable with the FMS one with my disc brakes, and did not do the cut and weld modification to the handle. It was a PITA to get it adjusted right, it was either too loose or too tight. Took me a few hours to get the spring tension right. I see why they say to cut and weld it with the adjustable FMS cable. Much easier to adjust it right.

Good luck!