Roush Parnelli Jones Edition

giddy-up

Jun 14, 2005
Hey gang,
I have a few questions for you all regarding the new Parnelli comming out. First of all, I'm taken back by some of the cars that are being put out by "competitors" of Saleen. Ford's own Shelby, now the Boss, and the Foose Mustang! I own a 2000 Saleen and love it. I often get tempted to buy a stock GT and a procharger for it for more power, then I remember that I have to do something with the suspension, then see that I have 35-40k into something that is a 25k car that anyone can buy...bla bla bla. Ok, so here it goes. To get the Parnelli edition I'm looking at 55k? (saleen isn't even sure...) You ONLY get 380hp (pathetic in 07 terms... SUV's have that much and the GTO has 400) So you get a car with a paint job and a weak motor (sorry 380 is about the same as a blown S281, and we all cry about what we need to do to them to get more.... it's weak period and yes it has a 302...so what) Now they are saying they want to make 500 of these??? WHAT? Why wouldn't I buy a Shelby, Boss, or Foose for the same or much less dough? Bottom line really is, in order to build a car that will wipe the new Z06's rear end you need to invest 70K+ for an Extreme, but you can build your own Eleanor with almost as much HP for half. What digs? (Don't get me wrong I want a Parnelli Jones Mustang BAAAAADDDD, and would buy one if I could see the value), but are the next several years going to be tough for this company or what?

• Sponsors (?)

I agree that the concept of a PJ edition is great and the bottom end of the motor is well built, but why stop there? You can put a blower on a stock GT and run circles around a stock PJ edition (in a strait line of course :) ) The good news is that the PJ edition is relatively affordable compared to the new SC's...I just can't grasp why they can't get more power from the 302 in stock trim. I'm guess I'm confused!! lol

"Only" 380hp from a N/A 5.0L motor? Wasn't THAT long ago that 225-250hp was all you got from a 302. Remember the original 69/70 Boss 302 was only rated at 290hp (actual was higher, but under 350) - and that was high rpm power that was not very street-friendly.

I would think insane HP and blower doesn't at all fit the "theme" of a PJ edition... He's a roadracer, not dragstrip. To me the PJ edition is close to what Ford SHOULD have offered as a "GT350" brother to the GT500. I'd much rather a lightweight, balanced handler than extreme HP. Just get the weight down <3500lbs, and you'd have something, IMO! :nice:

Couple things I would like to respond too. First, the new Extreme is awesome, but dont compare it too a new Z06 cause there is none. ZO6 is flat wicked, and too compare, you will need to look at high end exotics or the Ford GT/S7's (which are high end in my mind). 380 ponies from an NA car is very good. That motor is begging for boost or N2O. You get what you pay for, and getting something that will hold or increase in value at some point should be a factor if/when deciding to purchase such a car. My .02

BobV said:
I would think insane HP and blower doesn't at all fit the "theme" of a PJ edition... He's a roadracer, not dragstrip. To me the PJ edition is close to what Ford SHOULD have offered as a "GT350" brother to the GT500. I'd much rather a lightweight, balanced handler than extreme HP. Just get the weight down <3500lbs, and you'd have something, IMO! :nice:

My thought exactly .... great points.

380 is alot of HP naturally aspirated from a modular engine.

Would i pay $55 for it, no. But it's more of a retro collector thing, and that's not me.

And i agree with Saleenster, the z06 is in a league of it's own. You have to spend 150,000+ to compete with it.