part ? / part venting

Blackened302

Jul 21, 2005
South TX
well, gentlemen, looks like i may have blown a head gasket (or two).

i've been having overheating (not completely overheating, just getting hot) problems for the past 3 weeks, and finally today we noticed lots of bubbles under the radiator cap.

had it towed to my buddy's shop and tomorrow he's doing a leak test (i think that's what he said). luckily, though, he's a cool enough guy that he said if i do have a blown gasket, he'd let my broinlaw and i change them there at his shop. he also let me borrow his shop truck 'til my car is back on the road, so i have a way to work/school. stout guy, man.

so what could've caused this (if i do have a blown gasket)? i used a good mr. gasket--not high-end, but pretty good, still.

anyhow, the coolant/water looks like soda--bunches of little bubbles continuously coming up.

i'll report in tomorrow after they leak test is performed.

i'd rather it be a blown gasket than a cracked head.

• Sponsors (?)

Bummer man, but deff. get the shop buddy a case, or dinner...dont find that too often.

I would just get a fel-pro HG, there are several good ones and I am sure one would fill the budget needs easly.

Good luck, been there done that...not fun.

See if the shop has a cooling system pressure tester you can use. It can help you hear/see where the coolant is being lost.

Since these are new (to you) parts, I'd want to check for plumbness (warpage) while in there.

I'm sorry to hear about this Paul. That shop dude is definitely solid. I'd also seriously get him something decent - the savings from not needing a rental car alone cover that, let alone any diagnostic tools or lift time.

Good luck.

thanks, guys.

yeah, he is definately a real stout guy and a good buddy. we're all apart of the local mustang club and i'm glad we have members like him that are willing to help one another out. as soon as i get some spending money, i'm gonna treat him to as many rounds as he can handle.

if you gents wouldn't mind, please see my thread in Tech about causes for blowing head gaskets and how to prevent it this time around.

definately gonna get the heads decked--my BIL has a buddy at a machine shop that'll do 'em for $20, so it's worth it.

well, i honestly don't know the symptoms of a blown hg, but my BIL and friend (owns the shop) both think it is because of the constant bubbles in the radiator and hoses.

gonna find out the results of the leak test in a while... i was hoping the t-stat was just stuck...