Pass Side Window Doesn't Work From The Driver's Side

twogts4us

15 Year Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunedin, FL
Guys and Gals, I need some help...

In this thread a week or so ago I talked about how (I thought) my driver's side power window switch for the pass side window had died, so I bought a new (OEM) switch from American Muscle, and a 'One Touch' module from Pony Performance. (I hate just fixing something...like Tim the Toolman Taylor, I wanna make it better, faster, more powerful, or, in this case, simply more convenient.)

I started with just swapping the switch, taking things one step at a time. No workie. I swapped switches and discovered my old switch works just fine (in the driver's side plug). I checked the wiring and nothing appears to be lose or losing contact. The switch's prongs fit tight, as they should. They are certainly making good contact. The female terminals were not dirty or corroded, nonetheless I cleaned up the contacts (in the wiring harness) with a hobby tapered sanding stick. Still no workie.

I put my multimeter on it and confirmed it's getting about 12.65 V, just like the working switch. The window works fine from the pass side switch, but from the driver's side, you've gotta reach over like we did back in the day (of course back then you also had to crank it round and round..!)

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Chris

• Sponsors (?)

Well, if you've eliminated the switch and the motor as the likely culprits then it sounds to me like it's the wiring. Have you checked to make sure you have continuity from the switch to the motor?
No...Gawd, I hate to tear the entire door panel off and I just can't believe it's the wiring, but it somehow must be. The bitch is going to be trying to find out exactly where it's faulting at.
I really cannot believe it's NOT the switch.

A question: Did you actually install the complete replacement driver-side switch assembly with no change in symptoms, or did you simply swap the original left and right window switch unit in the driver side assembly?

I know it sounds incredulous, but a bad the passenger door switch could be causing your problem, even though it operates its own window just fine. These switches have 3 positions. The passenger-side switch, while in the center (rest) position, provides the current path for the driver-side switch to power the passenger-side window.

Try this test, which may narrow down the possibilities (you may already know the answer):
Try to lower the passenger window from the driver-side switch.
If it does not operate, lower it with the passenger-side switch.
Now, try to raise the passenger window with the driver-side switch.

If you can operate the passenger window in one direction from the driver-side switch, the wires that interconnect the passenger and driver-side switches are both OK, and the problem is likely either in the passenger-side switch or the conductors built into the base of the driver-side switch assembly.

If you cannot operate the passenger window in any direction from the driver-side switch, try this:
While holding the driver-side passenger window switch in the up or down position, have an accomplice juggle (just a little, not full travel) the passenger-side switch.

Yet another possibility is a previous owner installed an express-down module for the passenger window, and it has failed. I installed mine in a cavity under the passenger-side switch, so that's where I would look first.

+1 on the wires between the door and the pillar. I repaired four of those harness' on mustangs. If that is the problem, check the rest of the wires in there real good too. Two of the four I repaired had other wires that were broke or ready to break. If you have small hands you should be able to pull the QX boot away from the pillar side and slide it into the door. That way you won't really have to take anything apart.

I believe there is a relay on the circuit somewhere under the dash. Not sure where but that, for some reason, seems like a good next step to me.

The circuit you might be referring to is the GEM module. It's a black box about 1.5'x3.5x4.5 mounted under the dash right by the fuse panel, and yes it ties into the window and the door locks but usually when that goes bad it will cause a lot more problems than one window not working. Anything is possible though

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a curious person so please let me know how it turns out
I will certainly do so - my motivation is I also have a 'one-touch' module to install for that passenger's side window. So as soon as I figure out the issue with the driver's side button, I'll be installing this new module.
I actually started out taking pictures and had planned to provide a DIY instruction thread for those who need to fix a button or want to install the one touch feature. But I put the camera away once I discovered that the actual button is not the issue. :bs:

I just don't even know where to begin. Maybe pulling the boot that holds the wiring between the door and the body, and if I'm extremely lucky I'd find a wire break there... I mean seriously, this could be a nightmare.
Then yesterday, I ended up parking my car in the street, in the blazing sun, and when I went out to bring it back into the garage (where it normally is stored), suddenly the window works...!?!? Go figure. The only thing that had changed was the fact that it was out in the sun and got really hot on the interior. It'll be interesting to see if it still works today. I'll update you all by EOD today.