PATS Help

I used the key fob to unlock the car. I went to start the car. It fired for a split second then shut off. I went to start it again and it just cranked. After a few seconds, I stopped and noticed the theft light blinking. I pulled the key out of the ignition, hit the lock button twice, and then unlocked it again. Put the key back in and it fired right up.

Just looking for advice here and what parts may need fixed. Don't want to get stuck somewhere.

• Sponsors (?)

what i would do while you have two working keys is to buy a new one from ebay for about 20 then take it and have it cut, use this site to get the instructions on how to program and bam you have a new key with a new transpoder

It doesn't make sense to me that it wouldn't work until I locked and unlocked the doors. I don't think its they key going bad.

I have another key I will hang on to, but anyone run into this exact thing before, or know how to tell if a key is bad?

A weak battery or battery cable (or any interruption in power) will cause the anti-theft systems of late model Mustangs to trip. The idea is that someone may disconnect the battery as a means to steel the car. Upon reactivation, PATS is tripped. Hence the need to reset.

Is your battery stong and are the cables clean and tight?

Also, large metal objects on the key ring can sometimes interfere with the PATS signal.

If you wish to research further, try looking up the cluster DTC codes.

Diagnostic Mode - Ford Mustang Forums