Paxton Crank Pulley?? A/C?? HELP!!

nonosstang

Founding Member
Nov 9, 2001
Newark, CA
I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me out. I have a '66 Fastback and I would like to add a Paxton supercharger, but I'm not sure how it can work with an A/C unit.

I found a March Performance pulley setup that will work with the A/C. It's a serpentine conversion for the crank, alternator, water pump and A/C. No P/S!

If I add the Paxton supercharger setup, what happens to the serpentine crank pulley? Is the crank pulley replaced by the one in the Paxton kit? Or, is there just a spacer and an additional crank pulley for the supercharger?

Does anyone have or know where I can find a picture of the crank pulley that comes in the Paxton kit?

Or, does anyone have any solutions to run the supercharger and A/C?

PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

The crank pulley has one serp to run the sc and 3 v belts on the inside. I'm currently trying to find a solution for the same problem. The late model one doesn't line up. Maybe you can use a spacer with the late model one, I haven't looked into this far enough.

this is the pully that came with mine, I used the middle v-grove and there is one on the inside of it as well as the outside of the one used, hope this helps you out a bit

Attachments

• 100_0477.JPG
    100_0477.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 192
I'm watching this thread... I'm trying to run all v belts with ps, a/c, alternator and a vintage Paxton SN60. I thought I had it figured out when I was going to use only one belt for the a/c and ps, but it just slipped too much once the compressor clicked on. Now it looks like I'll need to add an extra accessory pully at the crank, but I'm not sure there's going to be room with the electric fan and all... sigh... :(

The problem I ended up with is running the pass side sc. I used a krc pump and and aftermarket mount for the ac compressor. This left the inside belt on the crank pulley un-usable. To run the ac, I would have to run it with the krc pump which I think will slip and maybe slap due to high rpms. The alt I have is high output and requires more than the average vbelt can deliver. So if it isn't brand new and snug as a bug, it will slip.

I'm having paxton send over a late model crank pulley to see how I might be able to use a spacer and run a serp set-up. We'll see how it goes.

mdjay said:
The problem I ended up with is running the pass side sc. I used a krc pump and and aftermarket mount for the ac compressor. This left the inside belt on the crank pulley un-usable. To run the ac, I would have to run it with the krc pump which I think will slip and maybe slap due to high rpms. The alt I have is high output and requires more than the average vbelt can deliver. So if it isn't brand new and snug as a bug, it will slip.

I'm having paxton send over a late model crank pulley to see how I might be able to use a spacer and run a serp set-up. We'll see how it goes.
Even the stock A/C setup has a separate tensioner. I highly doubt you can successfully run the A/C and P/S off of the same v-belt. If you need a serpentine tensioner, grab it from a junk yard off of any late model 5.0. I picked mine up from a Lincoln Mark VII. The serpentine pulleys are also expensive for the KRC pump ~$65. Also, unless you have an aftermarket damper, you may have some difficulty locating a three-bolt serpentine crank pulley. I believe all of the stock serpentine crank pulleys have a 4-bolt pattern.

I was aware of the 3 - 4 bolt issue but I thought it might be easier to have it re-drilled then to turn the one i've got on a lathe. The other idea is to modify the one that comes with the pax to just fit inside of a serp set-up as an accessory. I have seen some cool tentioners. Do you have a pic of your set-up?

mdjay said:
I was aware of the 3 - 4 bolt issue but I thought it might be easier to have it re-drilled then to turn the one i've got on a lathe. The other idea is to modify the one that comes with the pax to just fit inside of a serp set-up as an accessory. I have seen some cool tentioners. Do you have a pic of your set-up?
Nope. I have no supercharger and currently plan on using a v-belt setup on my Boss Rod 5.0 (roller block with Carrillo 289 rods). I do have a KRC pump. I'm just using the standard KRC mounting bracket. I did have custom hydraulic hoses made to fit my stock proportion valve. I also rid myself of the 50+ pound cast iron A/C compressor and will eventually install a sanden. So, for right now, no A/C.

The car is in 1,000 pieces right now and if I keep adding projects (such as switching to a serpentine setup) I will never get it back on the road. I was slated to have it done in April for the Knott's show, then is was for my b-day in September. Now I'm looking at Christmas. I've collected everything I need to complete the project, now if I could only buy some time...