payed good money for a t5 rebuild and it LEAKS!

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok about 2 months ago i got my t5 rebuilt. the guy who did it runs a nice parts store and had just rebuilt another t5 for a friend of his, a guy i know. anways he took my t5 did a good rebuild on it for 500$, thr t5 shifts great and works perfect, about 2 weeks later it starts leaking a drop here and there, i am like hmm. it probably leaked the whole time just so slow i couldnt tell. after 2 weeks is when i started seeing a consistant drop every day.

leak seems to be where the tailhousing mates to the case. the guy used some weird looking sealer, it was purple, looked like jelly and was wet when i went and picked it up. wasnt silicone it just like some sort of goo.

started getting a little worse, so i got under the car one day and cleaned it up some and globbed some silicone everywhere i could reach, to no avail. still leaked.
it only leaked after a drive for a while. after it sits it will slow down and not really leak at all.

i tried some transmission stop leak and didnt do anything, got a hold of the guy who rebuilt it and he said to come to the shop and he had some stuff. i figured he was going to give me the stuff, but i had to pay 10$ for it, expensive ****. dumped it in and so far it isnt working.

last night the t5 leaked a nice 6 inch puddle. and when i just pulled in earlier it leaked a nice, thick 2.5 inch puddle in less than 3 mins.

the leaks getting real bad and plus i stripped out two of the 4 bolt holes for the shifter, taking the damn thing off to add fluids so many times.

the way it looks now i will be pulling the tranny again.
i asked the guy if he would fix it if i have to go as far as pulling it back out, he said he would, now the question is, is he going to charge me to do it like he did the 10$ fluid that was supposed to help

sorry for the rant but it sucks paying a nice chunk of change for something like this and have it just leak and end up taking the t5 apart. you spend that much and you would expect not to have to deal with something so simple that nobody should have screwed up.

• Sponsors (?)

It happens. I rebuilt a T-5 and sold it to a friend for $400. He put it in and it leaked from the same spot. I used plenty of RTV but it still leaked. I felt bad that he had to pull it out and reseal the tailhousing.

It's pretty easy to do. There is no gasket at all on the T-5. you just use RTV to seal it up.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can pull it out yourself and remove the tailhousing easily and redo the RTV

Pretty sure that spot can be fixed without pulling the trans. By just undoing the tailhousing.
Second of all, don't put anything in your trans to try and stop a leak, use that stuff on a POS that you don't acutally care about.

i'd rather pull the tranny and do a better job resealing it rather than trying to work that tail housing off. i would have to take out the crossmember and DS and everything, i could just take the 4 bolts out to remove the case and tailhousing and leave the bellhousing in like i did last time.