PCV and valve cover breather?

The car I have recently purchased has a valve cover breather on the passenger side cover, but also still has the PCV intact. Or Atleast it seems in tact there is a hose from the upper intake to the lower with a check valve etc. my question is should I be running both of these since my car is NA? I want whatever is best, would it be better to run a hose from the BC to the throttle body? Or is it ok how it is?

• Sponsors (?)

A PCV system actively scavenges while a breather is passive. On a stock car, a PCV system is better IMHO.

Well my sig states the mods. What I want to know is with my mods etc would it be ok to remove the breather and run the full PCV. Meaning I'd run a hose from where the breather was to the plugged metal elbow on my throttle body. I've read running the breather can cause vacuum leaks which is kind of what I'm experiencing with my car. I want to run whatever will be best and let if run as efficiently and good as possible

If you don't have a lot of blowby, the full PCV sounds good. As you noted, it sounds like you just need to add a line from the inlet to a VC.

Your PCV restoration idea sounds fine to me. One has to wonder why the breather was installed in the first place however.

As an aside, you might wanna ensure the breather (mesh screen) is under the PCV valve and grommet.

Yes the screen and PCV valve are all there and the valve moves freely. I know eforehand I got the car it was a drag car so it could of had forced induction on it. But who knows maybe they are covering a problem by not letting it functio . I sure hope not though :/ I know when I gt it it has just had new rings and crank bearings installed so I sure hope there's no issues. The motor that was see to race was also not whats in there at the moment, as he showed me the block that came out. But then again people can tell you anything

But I like keeping vehicle systems functioning as they should in most cases. Other than some that can be removed and not cause adverse running conditions. I will hook the PCV up and run it a little while and if it causes problems ill out the breather back on lol

The car I have recently purchased has a valve cover breather on the passenger side cover, but also still has the PCV intact. Or Atleast it seems in tact there is a hose from the upper intake to the lower with a check valve etc. my question is should I be running both of these since my car is NA? I want whatever is best, would it be better to run a hose from the BC to the throttle body? Or is it ok how it is?

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but isn't what you describe the stock system? A breather hose from the passenger valve cover oil filler to the throttle body, and a vac hose from the upper intake to the rear of the lower intake with the PCV valve in it... isn't this a stock system?

Uh... Maybe the PO liked that specific valve cover and decided to run it. Ain't gonna have a gaping hole in your valve cover, are ya?
I've got tall Ford Racing valve covers on mine and a breather in one of them and I'm still using the regular PCV set up from the upper down to the lower.

Also, one second you say that the factory PCV system is intact, and then another you say " I will hook the PCV up and run it a little while" so which is it? Or are you asking which is a better system:
Factory PCV set up VS. valve cover PCV set up? Because both will get the job done.

What I meant was removing the valve cover breather and run ing a hose to make the PCV system complete as it was designed from the factory because right now I have the PCV hose from the upper to the lower and then a breather on the pass valve cover. If that will be the best option for running conditions. There will be no gaping hole as the oil filler neck has a port off the side where the breather is, so is just remove the breather off that port Nd run a hose from there to the TB like stock. They are aftermarket polished tall valve covers