PCV Help/Fuel Pump/HELP!!!

TSWG00

Founding Member
Sep 9, 2002
Snohomish, WA
So here is what is going on and maybe someone Can help me out here. So I was on the freeway in traffic in 1st gear as I went to get on the gas the car just cuts out so I pull over and it dies on me. I attpemt to start it and i'm cranking away and all the sudden I here a pop, then after that smoke start to come out from what ever poped off. Its something that screws into the lower intake I thought it was the PCV valve but its got threds on it. It does how ever go into a T connection that connects i'm assuming to the PCV valve but I'm unsure what it is. It had a metal mesh type filter on it. That got damaged from the exlosion lol. Does anyone have a diagram of the whole PCV system? I'm thinking its something to do with that or maybe come one can tell me what the hell that part is. Its not the PVC its on the passangers side and it screws into the lower intake. well its kind of in the centerish but all I want to know is what it is and what it does. I know why the car died the fuel pump went TU on me but I don't know why it blew that part apart lol. I do need to get a new one but I don't know what it is please help.

• Sponsors (?)

The PCV valve is kind-of on the passenger side of center, at the back of the lower. But it doesnt screw in. It does have the mesh pot under it though.

A backfire might have caused it to blow. Before you replace the FP, check the electrical side of things to see if you lost something that could affect the pump.

Good luck.

Along the lines of what Hissin said....That mesh filter is held in place by a rubber grommet...Maybe the pump died, then lit off again sending some fuel and it just backfired on you, blowing the PCV set-up out?? Odd for sure but chit happens..

I'd clean that mesh with brake cleaner or whatever as its prolly cruddded up, no need to replace it really...place that in the intake, push the grommet in, then push your PCV valve in...The rubber may seem threaded but it's not...The grooves are there to help hold it in and make it removable..
If the grommet is not split or real hard from dry rot you should be cool...

Everything HISSIN50 said is true. One thing I'll share. If it is the PCV and you put a clogged PCV back in, you are asking for trouble. If your crankcase was high enough in pressure once to pop it out it will do it again, just a matter of time. Invest in a new one or make sure you clean the crap out of it before putting the old one back in.... I suggest a new one to be one the safe side, they aren't expensive. Good Luck.

RIO5.0 said:
I'd clean that mesh with brake cleaner or whatever as its prolly cruddded up, no need to replace it really...place that in the intake, push the grommet in, then push your PCV valve in...The rubber may seem threaded but it's not...The grooves are there to help hold it in and make it removable..
If the grommet is not split or real hard from dry rot you should be cool...
What RIO5.0 said :D just clean the hell out of the mesh. That works.:D

Well the PCV Valve that Smucks gave mt does not look like what blew out. Then again Maybe the rest of the PCV Valve is somewhere under the car or something. I'm working on taking the upper off to see what excatly blew off. maybe I'll take some pics and post them to see if anyone knows what i'm talking about lol. Forgot I have a dig camera :-D.

The aftermarket PCV valves dont fit too well (in my experience). Then they pop out.

Does the top of the valve look different? The aftermarket stuff is generic and has a couple of barbs, whereas the OEM valve comes with one upward facing barb. Then you can add the dual 90* bend fitting that comes in the box to make it work for you (you cap one of the two bungs with the supplied cap).

I'm not sure if that's the difference you're seeing though.........

If you do get a new mesh screen, the parts stores tend to call it a breather (I asked for a screen and got the 'our computer doesn't show that part, so it must not exist' reply).

Good luck.