pedal troubleshoot....help please

Rol224

Apr 25, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ok question-
On your 99 and up V6 stang are your pedals *Complete plastic gas* *Ruber pad on top of metal brake* & *Plastic on top of metal dead pedal*??? (i have an automatic)

I bought the steeda pedal covers and have been have some problems putting them on. The gas was easy because all plastic is easy to drill into. But the Brake pedal, you need to either take off the pad completely or screw through it, and the bolt threads just smash in when put into metal (same with metal behind dead pedal). Has anyone installed pedal covers? Are there certain types of screws i can use that wont get messed up on metal? I'm just flat out getting pissed at the pedals and wondering if anybody can make my life any easier.

P.S. Steeda included **** bolts that strip easy. And I also got the bumper decal (mustang)....a little disappointed they charge you $30 for vinyl stickers that are impossible to put on and are super flimsy. The decals stretch super easy and made my temper fly through the roof.

car parts are overpriced yep

• Sponsors (?)

Rol224:

I installed the billet aluminum pedals from UPR. The instructions stated I needed self tapping stainless steel screws. Didn't have any problems with those. It's just a P.I.T.A. getting to those pedals, do yourself a favor and remove the seat. It should be easy from there.

It really is.....by no means i'm out of shape and by the time i'm done with one pedal my right arm is beat from drilling/screwing/working

are self tapping screws the ones that are semi-split and dont have thread?

Actually they have a tip that kinda looks like a phillips screwdriver head (thus it screws itself in (self taps)). About halfway up the shaft the threads start. You can get them at any Home Depot or Lowes. They were about $1.59~ when I got em. I do recommend using a bolt behind the pedal, I did not and they kinda feel wobbly sometimes. Enjoy your new covers, they really help to liven up the interior.

Well i went and bought flat head sheet metal screws that looked identical as the hardware they give you. If anyone wants to put billit pedals on i suggest you ditch the hardware they give you and go buy new hardware. It'll save you time and frustration.