People Don't Understand

94-302-vert

Aug 16, 2004
NE CT
I can't tell you how many times people tell me I am crazy for commuting 100 miles a day in a Mustang GT Convertible....

Who cares if I get bad gas mileage?

Who cares if the car is a little rough to look at?

Who cares if the car is not as nice as many that cost less to own?

I mean dammit I LOVE driving it and would hate to not enjoy driving it just because I could save $30-50 a week on gas with a ricer....

Am I the only one that is tired of "defending" himself for enjoying the car we all love???

• Sponsors (?)

I am pretty much the same way. I do mostly town driving, and I probably only get about 9 - 10 miles to the gallon. It does pretty good on the highway cruising where I can get 16 - 18 miles to the gallon, but that is a small percentage of my driving.
I love driving my car around, and when people give me grief about the mileage I get, and how much gas I go through, I just tell them that is my fun money.
They tend to understand a little better once I take them for a ride in it.:D

to some people, a car is just a box with wheels that gets them from point 1 to point 2.

not me. i spend so much time in my car, that if i don't like it, life would suck.

i had gotten to the point where i did not want to drive it anymore ... there were so many annoying little things, the big cloud of smoke every time i started it, rattles, the radio not getting radio stations, the bumper looking like crap every time it rained, the seats all worn out with ripped leather, ...

that is why i am doing everything i am doing to my car. it was either that or get rid of it and get a new car.

Well, see...
I'll be honest.
I never got made fun of. If anything everyone always gave me compliments about my car.
Some even thought it was brand new (03 or 04, no joke)
So I never heard a peep about any of the things you've mentioned.

The only insults that ever came my way was that it was a Ford.
Well, that's unavoidable.

But I think with the right touches, you can make that car sparkle enough that everyone will forget about the poor points about it.
And almost wish that they were driving your car instead of you.

I can't tell you how many times people tell me I am crazy for commuting 100 miles a day in a Mustang GT Convertible....

I mean dammit I LOVE driving it and would hate to not enjoy driving it just because I could save $30-50 a week on gas with a ricer....

Am I the only one that is tired of "defending" himself for enjoying the car we all love???

I understand and relate to all you said :nice:

I like the option of a dd for more economical reasons
and
My Stang for evenings and weekends to have fun

Best of both worlds :D
With less compromises to the Stang ;)
Cause I no longer have to give dd considerations to it :banana:

Yes ... When a combo turns out really well ......
You drive around town and say to yourself ..........
I love driving this car much more so now ... than when it was stock :)

Then ..... you find yourself doing that little Tim Allen quote

"All this thing needs is a little more power" :rlaugh:

Grady

my 95 gt vert DD (351w) averages about 20mpg with 80 mile daily commutes (70% highway). At least I enjoy the 90 minutes of daily driving.

My wife said, that after spending what I did on the car, that it better be my commutting car. The power is great to have during the daily race.

People differ.......you have to have some enjoyment in life...for some it's golf, bowling...hunting etc......for most of us.....it's the thrill of the Stang.....

Just remember....they are not paying your gas, insurance etc bills.....and tell them to go chase after the Hummers.....:rlaugh:

I don't actually get that from people because I don't drive it daily. However I do get the "why do you always have the car ripped apart and working on it? Don't you want to drive it and enjoy it?"

It makes me think, they have a point, but to tell you the truth, I like modifying it as much as I like driving it.

I absolutly love my stang and would drive it more if I could but, I'm glad mine doesn't get driven daily. I drive the company work truck all week so I don't have to pay for gas to drive back and forth to work thank god!!!

Your right people don't understand how much fun these mustangs really are and really gas mileage is not all that bad. I'm sure my car gets better than 20 mpg. I'm gonna check it late this afternoon.

Gas is going to cost no matter what. You gotta go places so its going to cost money. No need to worry about it. Drive what you want is the way I look at it.

I don't actually get that from people because I don't drive it daily. However I do get the "why do you always have the car ripped apart and working on it? Don't you want to drive it and enjoy it?"

It makes me think, they have a point, but to tell you the truth, I like modifying it as much as I like driving it.

My father gets on to me all the time about this. Says I wasted 26k on my 02gt just to let it sit. I just give him this :shrug: and don't worry about it.

People get on my case all the time for spending so much money on my car. What they'll never understand is that modifying and driving my Mustang is about the only thing that keeps me sane. Yeah, sometimes I get discouraged and angry when my car is being a PITA, but if I didn't even have my Mustang, I'd be much worse off. It's much more than a hobby or interest if you ask me.

so i guess i'm not the only one who's family tells them that buying parts for their mustang is a waste of money. dad told me the other day i should sell my car and buy a honda because of gas prices

i think the little extra i have to spend on gas is well worth what i get out of driving my car... i get 18-19 city mpg while not being conservative with the throttle whatsoever... so i really cannot complain. plus the compliments i get when they cant believe its a 94 are worth it as well. the paints not perfect, but all in all i dont know if there are many caers id rather be driving since if it was brand new or too rare, i wouldnt want to be driving it daily either. BTW, even with a 50-75 mile commute every day i wouldnt rather have another car, the only thing i wish is that at 105k, the miles tend to add up pretty fast.

I must say, my parents never really got on me about the money I put it to the car, mainly, because my father is also a hot rodder, so he understands. He's the one that got me into this hobby. I

f anything, he is one of the few people that tell me I should get this....... or I should get that..... only problem, I don't have enough money to buy all the mods he suggests when ever I want, I have to mod as I get the money. lol

if you wreck then its all gone and then you have nothing to show for what you've done.
agreed most people are retarded

i had a guy tell me that no matter wat you do to these cars all modern cars ament to turn into junk and fall apart after 20yrs

Heh, i'm with you man.....I have 3 vehicles to choose from and I still drive the mustang more than anything...drive it atleast 4 out of 5 work days...I also drive 100 miles a day but sadly the car also gets teh best gas mileage out of them all. Not hte most comfortable because the worn struts but still the most fun as far as i'm concerned. :nice: