People who have done thier own gear changes

BlownStangGT

REPEAT
Founding Member
Jan 22, 2002
Lancaster, PA
From what I have taken, it is not actaully that hard. The hardest part I think is setting up the back lash correct? I have taken out my center section to rebuild the trac lock before, so really I dont have that much more to do to swap in some gears. All you gotta really do is check the back lash or whatver when you put them back in correct? If so, I might try to swap some gears in myself this spring.

• Sponsors (?)

changing gears really isn't that bad if you go about it the right way. Just be prepared to take your time and go slow, especially on your first time. I would recommend getting your gears from ford, or a place that sells ford racing gears. They are built to the same specs as the originals so most times you can get away with using the same shims and the tolerences will be in check. Backlash is easy to check if you have a dial indicator. just set the indicator on the ring gears and move the gear left to right a few times and see how much the indicator moved, do this at few points along the gears face and you have your backlash. then just shim accordingly. Again if you get the ford gears lots of times you can just switch them with no problems, but always check just to make sure.

I just pulled the carrier out took off the stock ring gear(had to hammer it off lol) and loctited the new ring gear on. I re-used my Stock ford shims... They looked fine anyway... Then set in the pinnion and torqued the bolt on till there was some drag and checked there was no play and looked at the crush sleeve. Prolly should of got a new one, then I installed the carrier back in. I've had no problems at all since then... Though even if something goes wrong, whatever, live and learn :p

Backlash is the most important measurement in assembling a rear end. Too much backlash and you will have a noisy rear end and cause premature wear and failure. Likewise, too little backlash will create too much heat (friction) during operation and will also cause premature wear. Just get yourself a dial indicator with a magnetic base to let the backlash and you'll be fine. Good Luck!