people who have installed a Torque converter, need some help.

Road_Runna

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Dec 23, 2002
Ogden, UT
Ok guys im having a problem.
My torque converter won't seat all the way in, feeling around with my fingers for clearance I can confirm there is about 1 inch
IMG_5658_1.jpg

After maybe a little under an hour, of turning while pushing, it won't go further than those 2 inchest, leaving an inch of space of the shynny torque converter shaft.

IMG_5661.jpg

, I stuck a 6 inch steal ruler into the trans and could only get 2 inches of the ruler in (as shown in pic, the ruler won't travel inside the trans any further). Is this normal for aftermaket performace converter's ? I pulled the TC on and off and still get the same results.

• Sponsors (?)

You kind of have to rotate it around until it "clicks" in that last inch. It shouldn't be that big of an issue. If you have already done this, then I really can't see why it wouldn't go in all the way.

Kurt

I wonder if you're pushing the torque converter in too hard, and the edge of the torque converter is catching on something - so you're rotating the tranny gears instead. Something to think about.

I wonder if you're pushing the torque converter in too hard, and the edge of the torque converter is catching on something - so you're rotating the tranny gears instead. Something to think about.

the second picture has the tranmission pump seal and the shaft that goes into the torque converter. I put a 6" ruller (pic) as far as I could into the transmission, and I wouldn't go farther than the 2" depth.

my torque converter shaft is about 3". gonna try to install in again tomorrow.

1) Out of curiosity what happens when the transmssion pump bushing fails ? can you pull it out without opening the trans ? does it look worn out ? does it easily push up or down ?

2)
TC_fig1.gif

out of this guide, my lenght For B = .805", and my length for A = .950"

PATC's guide says
Most Ford should measure 1" from Bell Housing to Pads with a +/- .050"

My main concern was that: my torque converter would not seated all the way into the pump seal, I can fit my hand all the way into where the pump seal and torque converter would mate, and still get about an inch as you can tell from pic of the torque converter, the lenght of where the bottom of the ruller is, to the begining of the torque converter shaft.
IMG_5658_1.jpg

you i had the same problem on my 67 stang with a c4 one day i cudnt get it in but the next day tried agen and it just fell in like it had eyes just gotta keep trying. my dad uses a technique where he makes a circle with his index finger and thumb and puts it around the round part that goes next to crank and kinda flips it up turns it and pushes and it seem to work well when he doesnt doesnt work worth a crap when i try though

The front 1/2" has to seet in to the pump. When you look down into the convertor is the hub centered so the input shaft is actually going in properly? I installed a 10" convertor in a aod about 3 weeks ago and it seemed not right to me either. Is it clunking and seeting once or twice? Also what is the measurment from the mounting flange to the face of the bellhousing when convertor is installed?

If I could only edit my post from couple days ago.
Tealstang, my torque converter hub is centered.
The measurement I got from the mounting face pads (pads on torque converter that are bolted to the flexplate) to the bellhoising is .950 thousanths, really close to 1 inch. Which I should be ok by the chart.

The lenght between the torque converter flange to the mounting pads is .930 thousanths of an inch that's my measurement for A = .930 and not .950 like in my previouse post. measurement of B, I still get B = .805 thousanths of and inch. subtracting one from the other A - B (.930 - .805) gives me ===.125 (1/8) of clearance. this seems to be right, although my converter has only gone in 2 inches of it's 3 inch shaft.