Performance Chip Opinions

sparky99

Dec 18, 2003
I'm looking at purchasing a performance computer chip. I have considered the chips that offer the multiple settings that can be chosen from the interior of the car using a switch. I dont know a whole lot about these types - or many other types for that matter.

I have 3.73's, flowmasters, and an off-road x-pipe. I was curious as to which chip (brand and type of chip) would offer the best results

all opinions appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

chips are a waste of money on a lightly modded car like yours.

the only way a chip is really worth it on a near stock car is if you had an auto, had new gears put in and had an off-road pipe installed, all at the same time. that way you can change the shift points, recalibrate the speedo and get rid of the ses light all with the chip

since you already have gears and an o/r pipe i'm guessing you already installed a speed cal and mil eliminators to fix the speedo and ses light, so what's the point? companies claim they add hp, but all they do is advance the timing a little. you can do that yourself with a timing adjuster.

spend your money on something else :nice:

Actually

i dont have the speed call
the mil's are there BUT lately I've had probelms with the car idleing way to low when i'm driving it. For instance, after driving at normal speeds, if i press the brake for a stop sign or something like that, after I put the clutch in and brake the car drops down to bout 2-4 thousand rpm's. I was told by a few guys that this was b/c i don't have cat's and that I could fix the a/f ratio and that would take care of the problem.

and since i was going to by the speedcal to fix the speedometer I thought that i could fix both problems. Does this sound resonable?

The problem scenario that I described, does that sound like it would be fixed by the chip?

and still yet - the same question about types and brands of chips still stands

diablosport delta chip allows you to have a toggle switch on the inside of the car, it cost a little bit extra, doesn't come standard with the chip. it allows for a off/setting 1/setting 2. you can switch between setting 1 and 2 on the fly, but you have to turn the car off and have key outta the ignition to switch to the off position. if you happen to switch it to off while driving it will default to setting 1 till you actually turn the car off.

the chip can adjust for the different gears, and it can also adjust your a/f ratios, plus some other stuff. not sure about the problem you are having though, so i don't know what to tell you about that.

you probably wouldn't really need 2 different settings on the chip for your car. so if you did get the toggle, setting 1 and setting 2 would be the same.

http://www.diablosport.com/Ford_Prods_DeltaChip.html

If you can wait 24-48 hours I will let you know if the Steeda tune works. I got the tune today and will be installed tomorrow(I'm at work tonight) along with the cold air kit. They made a good case for their tune vs a chip.

My brother just had his '97Gt dyno tuned and it was worth it. If you spend $300.00 on a good module, or $475.00 on a reprogrammer yes you can switch back and forth but, for $500.00 he got a professional dyno tune and picked up a "real" 42 hp to the wheels. Only mods are exhaust, headers, 3.73's, and underdrives. I.M.H.O. more thand worth it.

You be the judge.

My Autologic Chip and dyno tune cost me $250. The chip and tune adjusted my engine timing, a/f ratio, speedo, cooling fan temp. and permanently got rid of my MIL from my x-pipe. Gained peak 8 rwhp/10 rwtq. from in the process as well. Saw consistent gains from 3000 rpms and up – probably mostly from the increased timing. I have to run 91 octane from now on though.

If I was to purchase a Steeda Timing Adjuster, Speedcal, and MIL eliminators, I’d spend more than $250 and have to install all that crap. Plus, I still wouldn’t have my a/f ratio dyno tuned.

The nice part about a chip is that you can take it out and mail it back to the shop for updates and changes. I just did this for my 4.10 gear swap. While the chip is removed, the car just reverts back to the stock computer programming. Plus, if I ever want to sell the car, I can take out my chip and sell it to another mustang owner. Can’t do that with a reflashed computer. You also can’t drive around while your computer is getting reflashed. This is particularly annoying if your stang is a daily driver like mine is.

2000GT said:
You be the judge.

My Autologic Chip and dyno tune cost me $250. The chip and tune adjusted my engine timing, a/f ratio, speedo, cooling fan temp. and permanently got rid of my MIL from my x-pipe. Gained peak 8 rwhp/10 rwtq. from in the process as well. Saw consistent gains from 3000 rpms and up – probably mostly from the increased timing. I have to run 91 octane from now on though.

If I was to purchase a Steeda Timing Adjuster, Speedcal, and MIL eliminators, I’d spend more than $250 and have to install all that crap. Plus, I still wouldn’t have my a/f ratio dyno tuned.

The nice part about a chip is that you can take it out and mail it back to the shop for updates and changes. I just did this for my 4.10 gear swap. While the chip is removed, the car just reverts back to the stock computer programming. Plus, if I ever want to sell the car, I can take out my chip and sell it to another mustang owner. Can’t do that with a reflashed computer. You also can’t drive around while your computer is getting reflashed. This is particularly annoying if your stang is a daily driver like mine is.

Ok so my point seems to be proved He's getting 8RWHP and that's about right maybe 10 but 42rwhp C'mon
I'm just a skeptic and 42rwhp sounds nice but is it true....
I'll say no becuse why, Look at all the Items I'ved installed and Combined They haven't gotten me any more then 25 RWHP... :shrug:
I wish I wish this was true.. :hail2:

Always post your dyno tune man. Can't wait to see them. I will be getting my 98 cobra dyno tuned here when I get a few hundred bux, need a few more things and a chip from the tuner. Cant wait :nice:

Darrin said:
My brother just had his '97Gt dyno tuned and it was worth it. If you spend $300.00 on a good module, or $475.00 on a reprogrammer yes you can switch back and forth but, for $500.00 he got a professional dyno tune and picked up a "real" 42 hp to the wheels. Only mods are exhaust, headers, 3.73's, and underdrives. I.M.H.O. more thand worth it.

:bs:

Unless your brother left one coil pack disconnected no dyno tune on a NA car with those mods would pick up 42RWHP. In fact those mods along won't even pick up 42RWHP alone.

I swear the misinformation from magazine readers and companies like Steeda making claims to 25RWHP from reflashing is such :bs: it makes me sick!

Bill