performance distributer?

ronstang94

May 10, 2007
Phx, AZ
Is there any good reason to get a performance distributer?

My plan originally was a built N/A 302. Im just heads and cam away from that goal. But recently I have been thinking about a N/A 347 to keep up with the factory fast coming out lately. The car keeps dying on me so I'm pretty sure its the PIP sensor and am considering just replacing the dizzy entirely with a performance unit. Whatever the plan may be, it will be N/A. So is there any advantages of a performance dizzy or is stock more than enough?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed, the stock distributor is fine as long as it's working. I would personally recommend an aftermarket coil from Performance Distributors:

5.0 Ignition Products

Their coil is excellent. With the stock coil, power dropped off a little as I approached redline, but with the Performance Distributors coil the exact same engine pulled hard all the way. Performance Distributors also offers a TFI module, spark plug wires and of course distributors. I haven't noticed much (if any) difference over stock after installing their TFI, wires or distributor, even though I have them all on my Cobra clone. They perform at least as good as the stock parts, but I don't know if they provide much of a benefit. The big noticeable seat-of-the-pants difference for me was the coil.

I have no personal experience with MSD, but searching Google, or even here will show you tons of stories about their products failing. That's enough for me to stay away. I don't see any reason not to stick with a stock distributor.

I have a msd laying on my desk right now, less than 500 miles on it. The msd falls off like a rock after 5,000 rpms on the dyno. Changed plugs, wires, coil and tfi. Guess what, it was the $269 new distributor. Stay with oem. I bought a cheap china knock off, some parts of it were made in the USA , but assembled in china and it works better than the msd.