Performance improvements

esfkotaro

Jan 28, 2004
Ok, so here's the deal...

I'm a 19 year old college student with a '93 LX Hatchback. 2.3L all the way baby ;)

here's my dilemma:

I can easily get a 5.0 in my car, no problem at all...at almost no cost, because of some friends that have left overs from their own experiences, but I really can't afford the difference in fuel economy, because it's a 30 mile drive to school every day, one-way. so that's at least 60 miles\day I gotta be driving. cutting my fuel economy by 50-60% would really put the hurt on my wallet.

so im just looking for simple, cheap-ish ways to better what I already have. problem is, I don't really know where to begin...I've never done much in the way of work under the hood before, I stick mostly to body work and interior mods.

if anyone has any suggestions on where to start\places to look for the parts I need, i'd really appreciate it if you could email them to me here:

[email protected]

and put the word "mustang" in the subject if you could...that way I can filter it to a folder where I can find it (too much junkmail in my email =\)

I'd prefer to be able to do the work myself to cut out installation costs, so the simpler the better, but racing is what my family is all about, so if I needed help, it's actually pretty readily available, so it doesn't have to be like...super-idiot easy. just simple enough that i won't have to more or less have someone else do it completely ;)

Thanks, any and all help is\will be much appreciated.

-Brian

• Sponsors (?)

also, as a side-note...anyone have any idea what I would expect to get a new driverside door for my LX?

some jerk in the school parking lot broadsided me and ran off, leaving me with a destroyed door and no information about him so I can get him for repair money...so im more or less stuck getting a new door\getting it painted with my own pocketcash...

:(

find a local junk yard, im sure they are readily availble. if you like the fuel milage of the 2.3 but want the power of a 5.0...and can "easily swap" a motor in, put in a 2.3Turbo motor can be pulled a local junk yard and easly rebuilt. Do a search, read through turbo articles here, and feel free to ask any questions that may arise after have tried to search for them (basic forum unwritten rule)...btw welcome!

5.0's dont get that much worse gas milage....Before I bumped the timing I was getting 27mpg on the highway if I kept my foot out of it. This was with a 5spd though. Just stick with the stock 2:73 gears and keep it at 10 or 11' timing and it wont effect your gas milage that much.

93 teal terror said:
5.0's dont get that much worse gas milage....Before I bumped the timing I was getting 27mpg on the highway if I kept my foot out of it. This was with a 5spd though. Just stick with the stock 2:73 gears and keep it at 10 or 11' timing and it wont effect your gas milage that much.

How do you adjust the Timing on the DIS DP 2.3L ?

Stinger said:
Yes, and if you are able to do a search then you are able to find the info to do it ;)

just throwing this out there..... but when I had my 89 GT 5 spd vert she managed 28mpg on the highway... which beat my auto 2.3 best of 24mpg highway... both were recorded from 70mph crusing....

ya i have a friend with a 94GT (lightly modded 5.0) he gets decent mileage if he keeps a soft foot. 5.0s are awsome cars, and if you treat them right will give ok gasmilage (especialy on the freeway), but since i do ALOTof stop and go city driving, and i wear lead shoes, a 2.3 gets me where im going above 21mpg, no matter how i drive. Its all in choice and driving style...and the reason your 2.3 got only 24mpg is A: rear end gears B: its an a4ld! LMBO! :p

If my stang takes 20 liter of gas/62miles.. is this supposed to be normal?Am I rolling too rich?

If the answer to this question is yes.. so what can I do to help my car running less rich than now?

Asha'man said:
I swear I posted this already. :scratch: You had 2.73's in the GT (assuming you were stock) compared to 3.73's in the 2.3...there's your mileage diff.

Ash

eehh point is a V8's gas mileage isnt as bad as its made out to be. I managed 14.4's with 2.73 gearing in that car....