Performance Question

Hello guys, I have an 1965 Mustang with a rebuilt 289 engine, stock transmission, the car currently has headers, intake, exhaust, 650 CFM carb, pertronix ignition and coil. I think that's it.
I plan on getting a cam and aluminum heads in the next month or so. My suspension is entirely stock except disc brakes.. My question is this.. What else can I do to my motor to run 12's or low 13's. Besides a new motor because I barely rebuilt it a month ago. I've also heard I can run that as soon as I install my heads and cam, but with an upgraded suspension.. I never drive the car maybe 3-4 times a month and I just want a bad ass street car that I can beat on... I think I have the motor part down, but if you have more ideas throw them at me.. I need suspension help.. Please help and thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

depending on what heads and cam you are going to use, and what trans you have, you will need deeper gears, 4.10s should do nicely. if you are running a stick shift, then you want to launch at around 3000 rpm. if you have an automatic you want a 3000 stall converter.

you will need traction bars as the stock leaf springs leave a lot to be desired when it comes to performance. and dont forget the subframe connectors as well. stiffening the chassis will always help.

for tires, you want something like a nitto 555 drag radial on the rear, and micky thompson front runners on the front. use a 0 camber setting, and something like 4-6 degrees positive caster and 1/8" toe in to help the car run straight. move the battery from under the hood to the trunk over the right rear tire to help combat the right rear lifting when launching the car.

after that it is a matter of getting your driving technique down pat. getting off the line, and hitting your shift points. you want to shift when the engine just passes its peak power point.

Try looking at torque converters, rather than looking up a stall speed.
If you are going to stick with a 3 speed auto trans, you are going to limit your free way driving. Not a problem in itself, you should just ask yourself how much actual high way time you actually get.
The camshaft will determine the stall speed, and rear gear requirement. Be sure and study up on the cam card before you make any purchase!
Here is an example of what I mean..

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=795&sb=2

Thanks for the link I noticed that it says 1970- and up does it matter ? Maybe that's why I couldn't find one cuz I had 1965 on there.. Anyways do you recommend any of those stalls? I normally buy summit brand .. Would that do? Thanks again..!

i tend to prefer the B&M converters, but any of the name brand ones are good. there is a difference in the 7o and later converters and the 69 and earlier ones, and that is the input shaft spline count.