Performance upper control arm bushings

352Ford2

Oct 12, 2005
Seattle,WA
Does anyone make Polyurethane or Urethane bushings for the upper control arm for 67 mustang/cougar?

Despite what the Summit racing website says Prothane and Energy Suspension doesn’t make them

I really really don’t want to replace it with factory low duramiter junky rubber bushings.

If not what are the open track/autocross guys running that don’t have the money for fancy aftermarket control arms?

• Sponsors (?)

My shaft has rubber bushings that it rides on. I was thinking this might be a cougar specific issue, but I looked it up in the moog catalog and they have an exploed diagram with rubber bushing on that shaft for mustangs too

You might have Granada upper control arms. Some years of those had a pair of press-in rubber bushings. I have a pair that had new bushings installed that I was going to install in my 69 Cougar but changed my mind and went with original type.

the rubber UCA bushings listed in the Moog catalog, and probably what you have on your car, are their "Problem Solver" bushings, they were designed to to replace the original metal bushings when the threads in the control arm are worn out and won't hold the metal bushings any longer. the only reason Moog made these is because there were no longer any new UCA's being made any more so there was no other way to repair the UCA other than using this rubber bushing. these are not good for performance applications at all. i would highly recommend getting new UCA's since they are now available again. a lot of place don't even stock the "Problem Solver" bushings any longer anyway.

the rubber UCA bushings listed in the Moog catalog, and probably what you have on your car, are their "Problem Solver" bushings, they were designed to to replace the original metal bushings when the threads in the control arm are worn out and won't hold the metal bushings any longer. the only reason Moog made these is because there were no longer any new UCA's being made any more so there was no other way to repair the UCA other than using this rubber bushing. these are not good for performance applications at all. i would highly recommend getting new UCA's since they are now available again. a lot of place don't even stock the "Problem Solver" bushings any longer anyway.

Thanks, good info

:hail2: bnickel!
Is there anything you don't know about mustangs?

:hail2: bnickel!
Is there anything you don't know about mustangs?

oh yeah, there's a lot i don't know. hell, i can't even tell a 65 from a 66, but i do know the 69-70 cars pretty well, plus i worked in auto parts most of life, that's why i know so much about the parts side of it.

mostly, i just read a lot. if something interests me, i try to find out all i can about it. obvioulsy, i'm not as interested in the 65-66 cars as i am the 67-68 cars.

but thanks for the compliment anyway :nice: