Performer 289 Manifold Install Questions

BaLleRz68

Founding Member
Oct 9, 2001
I’m about to install my 289 performer manifold on my stock 67 c-code and was wondering what length 5/16 bolts I would need. I purchased 5/16 x 2-1/2 bolts and I’ m thinking they are too long. I did a search and some people used 5/16 X 2 bolts. Anyone know the correct length to be used? Also, is it necessary to put RTV sealant around the water ports between the gasket and the cylinder head? Is this the right way to do it? I'm using the ultra black silicon. Will that be ok around the water ports? I’m reading some people do this and others don’t. I’m going to use the felpro blue gaskets. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I will suggest that you use 4 pieces of 4" long all thread in the 4 corners to slide the manifold down onto. This will help with alignment and to avoid slippage of the gaskets. Simply remove the all thread after getting some/most of the other bolts started. Also, use a fat bead of black RTV in place of the front and rear gaskets. Make sure that the rails are VERY clean (a clean rag soaked with brake clean works well) and put a 1/4" or more bead of the RTV on and let it partially set up before lowering the intake into place. I'm sorry that I don't recall the correct length for the bolts.
HTH,
Gene

You can reuse your old intake manifold bolts if you still have them. If not, there are plenty of places that sell bolt kits. If you want to spend a little more money on a nice set of bolts, order a set from ARP.

Definately put RTV around the water jackets.