Performer head/cobra intake Dyno #'s

stangin it

Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Long Island, NY
I had the car dynoed today ran into alot of problems. The car is pinging like CRAZY the other mechanics heard it from the other room. When i got there the fuel pressure was set at 42psi vaccum on and the timing was -4*:o The distributor was put in wrong when i did the head swap.

These #'s are STD corrected not SAE......
1st run...... 278 rwhp 293ftlbs it was running very very rich

Put the dist back the right way and it kept pinging so i had to lower the timing to 7* fuel pressure is set at 39psi vaccum on...
This pull was...... 287rwhp 310ftlbsb 17.5 A/F thats a bit off but its definately running lean.

I did another run but it got aborted because of the severe pinging.I still have stock injectors and my IAT sensor is broken they seem to think thats why its pinging. Maybe monday i can post the graphs i dont have a scanner at home. The rest of my mods are..... Performer heads 1.90/1.60, cobra intake, C&L maf, pullies, shorty headers, mac prochamber, catback, i still have stock TB and stock cam.

• Sponsors (?)

They heard it pinging from joes office with the door shut the guy driving the car didnt hear it pinging which is understandable because the car is pretty loud. I paid $75 just like everyone else so i cant really expect them to sit there and tune my car. How do u think i should go about fixing this problem??

those are pretty decent #s. in the new issue of 5.0 mag. they only dynoed like 245rwhp. dont understand why theres was so low cause i seen a bunch of you guys getting between 270-310 rwhp with these heads.

stangin it said:
This pull was...... 287rwhp 310ftlbsb 17.5 A/F thats a bit off but its definately running lean.

17.5 is super lean, might be a mass air problem. I had the same thing first time I dynoed the 302, was around 15/1, changed meters and went down to around 12/1 if I remember correctly. It did not make a huge power change though, first time was 299rwhp, better a/f was 303rwhp :shrug: