Performer-Plus Camshaft.. Legit cam?

Jmellone7

Jan 19, 2010
Hey everyone I just have a quick question, I have a 95 GT 5.0 and recently just bought an Edlebrock Performer-Plus Camshaft with the specs:

Duration @ .006 Int:282 deg. Exh: 282 deg
@ .050 Int:220 deg. Exh: 220 deg
Lift
@Cam Int: .311 (0,78cm) Exh: .311 (0,78cm)
@Valve Int: .498 (1,26cm) Exh: .498 (1,26cm)

Is this a good cam? No so good?
Would appreciate the feedback, thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the old Crane 2040 cam specs. Should be a decent off the shelf cam, but there are better cams available. I'm not a fan of single pattern cams, such as the FRPP alphabet cams. SBF heads are notoriously asthmatic on the exhaust side and can almost always benefit from a split pattern cam that favors the exhaust with more lift and duration. If the LSA on that cam is only 110° like the Crane 2040, you're almost certainly going to need a tune to keep it running. The 94-95 EEC doesn't seem to like cams under 112° very well, although every car is different, so your mileage may very.

Moved to 94-95 Tech.

Sounds like the old Crane 2040 cam specs. Should be a decent off the shelf cam, but there are better cams available. I'm not a fan of single pattern cams, such as the FRPP alphabet cams. SBF heads are notoriously asthmatic on the exhaust side and can almost always benefit from a split pattern cam that favors the exhaust with more lift and duration. If the LSA on that cam is only 110° like the Crane 2040, you're almost certainly going to need a tune to keep it running. The 94-95 EEC doesn't seem to like cams under 112° very well, although every car is different, so your mileage may very.

Moved to 94-95 Tech.

What Cam would you suggest?

Your heads and intake are completely mismatched. I suggest you keep the existing intake and upgrade the heads/cam at the same time. Since you already have the Eddy cam, keep it and just buy a pair of Eddy heads to complete the top end package.