PI Heads, Comp Cams w/Mongoose Kit?

mustangman9812

10 Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
Mars Hill, NC
How good would my car run (HP and TQ Wise) if when I put my PI Heads w/Comp Cams, and LT's, if I went and Bought the Mongoose Kit with the vortech? My bottom end has 100,000 miles on it but i have changed oil every 3,000 miles and i have always put in a bottom of Lucas Oil Treatment can it hold 8lb of boost?

• Sponsors (?)

I am in the same situation, 6psi is the max you could run on a PI swapped 96-98 GT and be safe. The compression is 10.5:1 which is very high for a blower.

As for the Comp Cams, if they are N/A cams you will hurt the blowers final numbers. I would stick with stock cams or go with cams designed for the blower.

I am planning on either a P1SC kit because of the intercooler and running 6 psi or getting a mongoose kit with a snow boost cooler and 6 psi.

im working on the same thing right now. im half way there. my blower cams are already in. im going the long route though and getting a built engine first. that way you cam mess with the compression and run as much boost as you want. i want to run 14 psi and hopefully put down 500wrhp.

with that said i think your car will be plenty strong.

ADRENLN said:
im working on the same thing right now. im half way there. my blower cams are already in. im going the long route though and getting a built engine first. that way you cam mess with the compression and run as much boost as you want. i want to run 14 psi and hopefully put down 500wrhp.

with that said i think your car will be plenty strong.
Well you are in a better situation...he is a PI headswapped car and his C/R is 10.3 ish and not blower friendly. Although with a good tune he will be able to live awhile with that set up as long as he doesn't abuse the car.

Also comp cams are pretty good for blower cars...what comps do you have?

Another viable alternative would be to have your NPI heads ported - You can get NPIs to flow very well (much better than the stock PI heads), and that way you will maintain a more boost-friendly CR. Run your Comp cams in the ported NPI heads, and bolt up a PI intake. When you supercharge the car you will make some good numbers, similar to that of a 99+ GT running the same boost levels. Personally, I would be very wary of running boost on a 100K stock bottom end with a 10.5:1 CR. I know Steen Racing is a good company to look at should you decide that is the route you want to go. Either way, I would start saving for a built shortblock, but I definitely think the PI swapped/boosted setup will not last as long as the ported NPI/boost setup (assuming both have very good tunes)