pi intake and cam swap

98bluevert

Jan 22, 2006
Mattoon, IL
ok i'm tired of searching on here. I'm getting ready to do the swap. I know it is suppose to add 30ish rwhp. What about tq numbers.

Do i need a tune or can it wait till after i headers, and a couple other things?

Also what should i run a the track: 98 Vert, 4.10's, MM subframes, Mac off-road prochamber, TF upper intake, ET streets. 750 ft above sea level

Last time i ran at the 1/8th mile i only had gears and street tires. couldn't hook up very well and posted a 9.30 with something like a 2.3 60ft.

Could i see mid to low 8 sec passes with the mods listed above or does anyone know what 1/4 mile passes would be close to.

Also what are the Tq number differences between PI intake, cams, and heads, to just intake and cams

• Sponsors (?)

I'm curious on the tune question as well. I'll be getting my cams installed this month (PI cams) and then will be doing the PI intake in early December.

I would have liked to do them both at the same time, though the intake install suggests waiting atleast 24 hours for the RTV, so i'll do that on a weekend when I can afford the down time. Plus I have already switched the intake manifold once before so I can do it myself.

so.. tune or no tune for a basically stock car w/ pi cams (then pi intake later)?

Pennywise2 said:
People how are doing the PI intake and camshaft swap
should consider a dyno tune to see where your A/F ratio
is at.I bet after the swap you will run rich.

Would it be rich or lean? The PI cam/manifold swap's basic premis is that the stock NPI parts don't flow enough air whereas the upgraded parts flow a bunch more air...wouldn't that have more of a tendancy to run lean or would the ECU overcompensate and run it rich?

Thanks for the all the info. does anybody have any links to dyno charts with the swap done.

Also anyone got any heads up pointers for installing the cams, i have done the npi intake with new crossover so I don't need pointers on it.

I did the swap around April this year and I felt a considerable difference. I used a cam chain retention tool to swap the cams out. It worked good, and dont over torque the cam cap bolts because they are $5 a piece and you have to buy them in sets of 4 :rlaugh: . I laugh now, but I wasnt happy then. You will feel results. Good luck.

98bluevert said:
Thanks for the all the info. does anybody have any links to dyno charts with the swap done.

Also anyone got any heads up pointers for installing the cams, i have done the npi intake with new crossover so I don't need pointers on it.

Here is my dyno charts post PI intake and cams. Charts are labeled STD, but were marked wrong when they printed the sheets - they are SAE.

best pull - engine hot
Dyno229.jpg

A/F
AirFuel.jpg

As for the install, I had pulled the front cover, but if I had to do it again, I would have gone the route of using the cam removal tool from Ford to save time/labor. If you use the tool, just follow the directions that come with the tool. It's really a bolt-in affair. You can leave the intake on the engine which also saves time and energy.

Attachments

• Dyno229.jpg
    Dyno229.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 205
  • AirFuel.jpg
    AirFuel.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 159