PI Intake on 98GT?

red98_gt

Mar 15, 2004
I have noticed that these PI intakes can be purchased fairly cheap...Would I get any gain out of the intake? I still have NPI heads, for now.

Also- Would the intake throw my tuning off: I have a hypetech chip, obviously tuned for a 98gt.

• Sponsors (?)

i thought some guy on here did a pi intake swap with a tune and ended up with 50.... yes five zero HP more at the wheels in the rear. That was at like 4800 rpm's. Maybe I misread what he said but I thought a good chunk of the power came from the intake and the heads with cams added a little more... anyone remember the thread on here?

I know people have gained 17 RWHP across the board and 35 RWHP at the peak point with just a PI intake. I have never heard of 50.

You shouldn't need a tune for just the PI intake swap.

Disturbed One said:
i thought some guy on here did a pi intake swap with a tune and ended up with 50.... yes five zero HP more at the wheels in the rear. That was at like 4800 rpm's. Maybe I misread what he said but I thought a good chunk of the power came from the intake and the heads with cams added a little more... anyone remember the thread on here?
Are you thinking of the complete PI headswap?

Disturbed One said:

I could only see this possible with a head and cam swap too, the complete swap raises the compression, so it would def be worth 50 horse or so.

yup, I put just the PI manifold on my car, definitely a worthwhile mod. Below the 3000 rpm mark, the car is a little more powerful than the NPI setup, but once it hits about 3500 rpm, the car pulls like mad (well, thats a relative statement, much better than NPI). I didn't do the cam swap but I was also planning on doing PI heads sometime in the near future and didn't really want to spend the time doing a cam swap if i'm junking the heads. Also, some say adapter plates, some say you don't need them. All I did was pick up a set of NPI gaskets, because those seal the coolant ports - I lined them up on the manifold, used black RTV silicone to seal the spots where they didnt quite match and allowed it to cure over night. Next day, I plopped the intake down on the heads, bolted everything back up, put in new coolant/Tstat and was on my way. Never got the car tuned and I haven't pinged once, though I am sure a tune will help me pick up a few hp and give me some more low end

stangGT97 said:
yup, I put just the PI manifold on my car, definitely a worthwhile mod. Below the 3000 rpm mark, the car is a little more powerful than the NPI setup, but once it hits about 3500 rpm, the car pulls like mad (well, thats a relative statement, much better than NPI). I didn't do the cam swap but I was also planning on doing PI heads sometime in the near future and didn't really want to spend the time doing a cam swap if i'm junking the heads. Also, some say adapter plates, some say you don't need them. All I did was pick up a set of NPI gaskets, because those seal the coolant ports - I lined them up on the manifold, used black RTV silicone to seal the spots where they didnt quite match and allowed it to cure over night. Next day, I plopped the intake down on the heads, bolted everything back up, put in new coolant/Tstat and was on my way. Never got the car tuned and I haven't pinged once, though I am sure a tune will help me pick up a few hp and give me some more low end

I have done the swap both ways, using NPI and PI gaskets. If you choose not to use the adapter plates( which I don't recommend ), use the PI gaskets and RTV on the Coolant ports. RTV seals against Water and Antifreeze, it does not seal well against oil and gasoline, don't believe me, read the RTV instructions on what it works against. Using the NPI gaskets and RTV, you are exposing the RTV to oil and possibly gasoline. Over time the RTV will be eaten away by oil that does get into the intake.

dude i have done the swap both ways. wuth NPI 96 heads and with head swap. GET THE HEAD SWAP !!!!!!!

better power than 99-04 becvause of added compression. you will not believe the power, at least compared to 96-98.

instead of dying at 4800 you can pull to 5500.

TGJ said:
I have done the swap both ways, using NPI and PI gaskets. If you choose not to use the adapter plates( which I don't recommend ), use the PI gaskets and RTV on the Coolant ports. RTV seals against Water and Antifreeze, it does not seal well against oil and gasoline, don't believe me, read the RTV instructions on what it works against. Using the NPI gaskets and RTV, you are exposing the RTV to oil and possibly gasoline. Over time the RTV will be eaten away by oil that does get into the intake.

never thought of that. With any luck the intake will be coming off soon to make way for some pi heads anyway. I couldnt find adapter plates anywhere when I was doing the swap

blackfang has a point. npi's do flow better when ported. you can mill the heads max .045" and pick up the compression. it will only offset the boltholes .707 x .045 = .031815". they will still bolt up. you will add about 3/4 point C/R. it will also retard the cams about 1 degree which helps top end a little also.