Pi swap guys, stuck on the dip stick

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
Joplin, Missouri
So we pi swapped a family members 98 gt. Installed pypes long tube headers as well. I cannot get the dip stick tube to go into the block fully therefore the dip stick itself will not go and feels as if its in a bind. there are no kinks in the tube itself, we only cut off the flange that holds it to the heads. I THINK we used the swap tube that came with the head swap kit (frpp) as the orig 98 tube was NO WHERE close.

What have you guys done to make this work or what am I missing. Obviously I'm very space limited down there but I know there is a way to make this work. This is the last piece of the puzzle so I can get this turn out of my garage.

:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

I just used a lokar dipstick when I did my headswap. I had the same problem and the lokar was a piece of cake installing so well worth the extra money. O it looks awesome to :)

Money really isn't the problem here. I just find it odd that there is no other fix. I probally have 4-5 hours just trying to get this damn tube in...... It just baffles me. I have tried ever possible angle and just want to make sure there is no other solution before I spend money. Again, 50 bucks is no biggie, its more of the pride at this point. :D

I've read where others have gotten a stocker to work with "modification".... But they never say what they did.

squeak93:

Haven't had the pleasure but here is what I have read as one method:

Lube the end of the tube with fresh oil. Use a fuel line tool ("split plastic washer") and an open end wrench. Put the fuel line tool on and the wrench on top and then tap the wrench with a plastic mallet while your buddy pushes down on the tube. Tell him not to push too hard or he will kink it. It has to go in pretty straight. The tube should click into place. The fuel line tool distributes the force of the tapped wrench to the whole bulge.

HTH,

Chris

We've done that (with rubber mallet, and a sledge for chits and grins.) Basically b/c of the design of the long tubes we had to put such a bend in it to get it close (1/8 inch of the tube still sticks out of the block that shouldn't) that the dipstick itself will not go in.... Its the cord style and won't make the turn..... My guess is as stated above that we need to pu the lokar piece and be done with it.

When I did this a few years ago I had to have someone help me. The person above the engine would slowly lower and twist the dipstick as the person underneath lined it up and forced it into the block. I don't know if you have the same tube that I did, and I had MAC L/Ts, so I am not exactly sure. You can bend/kink the dipstick tube, but just be sure that you keep the diameter big enough for the dipstick itself.

I am sorry you are having a hard time. Good luck, and be sure you got all those little plugs on the backside of the heads in so you don't have a nasty oil spill!

Money really isn't the problem here. I just find it odd that there is no other fix. I probally have 4-5 hours just trying to get this damn tube in...... It just baffles me. I have tried ever possible angle and just want to make sure there is no other solution before I spend money. Again, 50 bucks is no biggie, its more of the pride at this point. :D

I've read where others have gotten a stocker to work with "modification".... But they never say what they did.

I understand totally, all I can say than is that that b***h broke me than because I was so frustated and wanted it done I even paid for the overnight shipping:nonono: