pi swap or supercharger, which would you choose?

adrift

Feb 21, 2004
Ohio
If you were to choose between a pi swap or a blower on a 96-98gt that was probably going to see life more as a street car than a drag car which would you choose? (considering you have less than $2000 to spend on parts, and you had to choose one or the other... for now).

• Sponsors (?)

adrift said:
If you were to choose between a pi swap or a blower on a 96-98gt that was probably going to see life more as a street car than a drag car which would you choose? (considering you have less than $2000 to spend on parts, and you had to choose one or the other... for now).
yea superchargers are kinda pricey.
i am doin the pi headswap myself on my 98 gt.i picked up everything for $977 shipped.parkway ford sells a kit for $1320 shipped i believe.By browsin the classifieds i saved $343 to put towards somthing else!
people are always selling pi heads and you can get your pi intake from mustangtuning.com for $192 shipped.i bought just about all of my install accessories from randy stinchcomb on modulardepot.com.
i am runnin a 14.3right now on street tires so hopefully i can pull off some mid 13's with some stickys after the pi head swap.i'll let you know how much of a difference i noticed after i get it installed!!
charles

Just a quick note. You can purchase most, if not all of the parts needed for the headswap from VTengines, however, they will be upgraded parts. Meaning, the heads will be ported and polished, the valves will be stainless steel, the valves oversized, high performance valve springs, etc. Might be a bit more expensive, but the power gains will be unbelieveable.

trikeffex said:
yea superchargers are kinda pricey.
i am doin the pi headswap myself on my 98 gt.i picked up everything for $977 shipped.parkway ford sells a kit for $1320 shipped i believe.By browsin the classifieds i saved $343 to put towards somthing else!
people are always selling pi heads and you can get your pi intake from mustangtuning.com for $192 shipped.i bought just about all of my install accessories from randy stinchcomb on modulardepot.com.
i am runnin a 14.3right now on street tires so hopefully i can pull off some mid 13's with some stickys after the pi head swap.i'll let you know how much of a difference i noticed after i get it installed!!
charles

Like stated above with $2000 a supercharger will be extremely hard to find. I also found my PI stuff online from a local guy and saved a ton of money. Also u can get the PI intake for $150 from www.oemfordparts.com

Dark Knight GT said:
Just a quick note. You can purchase most, if not all of the parts needed for the headswap from VTengines, however, they will be upgraded parts. Meaning, the heads will be ported and polished, the valves will be stainless steel, the valves oversized, high performance valve springs, etc. Might be a bit more expensive, but the power gains will be unbelieveable.

how much HP can you gain from a PI swap??

Newbie143 said:
how much HP can you gain from a PI swap??
If all you're doing is just a basic swap of heads, cams, and intake, then you can expect to make the same power as what the 99-04 GT's make. You can also figure in extra power if you have other things such as a high flow exhuast and a good intake tract. IMHO, if I were going to mess with swapping cams and heads, I'de get a set of high performing cams from VTEngines and if I had enough money, I'de just order a set of cylinder heads already race ported and race built from VTengines to match. That will be a bit more expensive though. Either way, when you start messing with internals, you might as well add in a few hundred dollars for either a custom tune, chip, or EEC flash/programmer to correct fuel pressure, timing, etc.